Thread: Holiday Movies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Holiday Movies 
    Saw this last night on BluRay.

I was impressed, both by the movie itself and especially the quality of the blu-ray presentation. The picture is so sharp, you feel you could almost walk through the screen into the movie.

Travolta and Washington are exceptional as the leads, and the support acting is also very strong, especially with Gandolfini (Tony Soprano) as Hizzonor. Very violent and lots of bad, bad language, so definitely not kid friendly or for the faint of heart.

What movies have you guys been watching this holiday season? Post 'em here.
    nie vergessen, nie verzeihen.

I saw Funny People and The Hangover. Funny People was much better imo. I also saw Drag me to Hell and REALLY liked it. It was nice to see a horror movie without rivers of blood that actually had a story to it.
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

I don't watch many movies but I did enjoy Paranormal Activity which I saw recently, it was scary with almost no special effects. After Space Gravy's recommendation I think I'll give Drag Me to Hell a try as I prefer my horror to have a plot.

I watched the most recent Star Track movie in Blu Ray. The movie and the picture quality was excellent!

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    I watched the most recent Star Track movie in Blu Ray. The movie and the picture quality was excellent!
    BluRay is definitely the way to go, isn't it? I'm really impressed with the image quality.

I haven't had the player that long, so I only have a few titles so far:

Matrix trilogy
    Signs
    Day the Earth Stood Still
    Independence Day

Blockbuster charges the same to rent BD as for DVD so there's an increasing choice of stuff to rent.

Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    BluRay is definitely the way to go, isn't it? I'm really impressed with the image quality.

I haven't had the player that long, so I only have a few titles so far:

Matrix trilogy
    Signs
    Day the Earth Stood Still
    Independence Day

Blockbuster charges the same to rent BD as for DVD so there's an increasing choice of stuff to rent.
    No doubt. I upgraded my TV as well to a 1080p 120mhz and the picture is stellar!

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    No doubt. I upgraded my TV as well to a 1080p 120mhz and the picture is stellar!
    Do you have to have the HD hook up to get the full quality when watching Blu Ray? I have an HD TV, but I don't have the service from Direct TV.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

I don't think so. You just need HDMI<>HDMI connectivity from source to output, and the TV must be 1080P capable. To get the audio benefits, you'll need to route the HDMI out through a good quality DSP.

You'll need the hookup for any broadcast TV though, and you will only get near 1080-I quality from cable. Satellite can't do better than 720-I at the moment, not in the PAL countries at least.

May be different in the US, but that's pretty much how it is over here.

Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    Do you have to have the HD hook up to get the full quality when watching Blu Ray? I have an HD TV, but I don't have the service from Direct TV.
    As Hamps pointed out, your HD TV needs to be 1080p to get the full benefits. 1080i will work but the quality is not a good as the 1080p sets.

C. S. Lewis

Directv is 1080p
    http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global...ssetId=3720002
    We have had it for awhile. I'm waiting for SNIFF TV!