Thread: PETA Proposes Lobster Empathy Center (No, Not Your Stockpot).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 PETA Proposes Lobster Empathy Center (No, Not Your Stockpot). 
    PETA proposes Lobster Empathy Center for Skowhegan jail

By Sharon Kiley Mack
    Tuesday, June 3, 2008 - Bangor Daily News

SKOWHEGAN, Maine - People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals has sent a proposal to the Somerset County commissioners to lease their jail for the world’s first Lobster Empathy Center.

The central Maine county is constructing a new jail and has put the century-old jail in downtown Skowhegan up for sale. The Realtor handling the sale called the offer "likely a publicity stunt."

"A prison is the perfect setting to demonstrate how lobsters suffer when they are caught in traps or confined to cramped, filthy supermarket tanks," PETA wrote in a June 2 letter to the commissioners. "The center will teach visitors to have compassion for these interesting, sensitive animals while also commemorating the millions of lobsters who are ripped from their homes in the ocean off the coast of Maine each year before being boiled alive."

Commissioner Chairman Phil Roy, who doesn’t care for lobster, was at a loss for words Monday afternoon.

"I’m shocked and I don’t know what to say. I didn’t realize Skowhegan was the coastal community PETA was looking for," Roy said, with tongue in cheek.

As the crow flies, the distance from Skowhegan to Rockland, home of the Maine Lobster Festival and a lobster fishing port, is approximately 53 miles.

"The lobster capital of the state of Maine certainly isn’t here," Roy said. He said it was odd that PETA would object to the jail conditions for lobsters but had never filed a complaint on behalf of the human inmates incarcerated there.
    I was empathizing with some snow crabs just last Saturday. :D

There, there.......CRACK!

Power CUer
    "A prison is the perfect setting to demonstrate how lobsters suffer when they are caught in traps or confined to cramped, filthy supermarket tanks," PETA wrote in a June 2 letter to the commissioners."

I agree. I frequently liberate a couple from the supermarket tanks when I see them. They go into a lovely, cozy brown paper bag, and get a nice, hot bath when I get them home.

BSR
    I like them cute, like Mr. Pincy here.

Lobster, the cockroach of the sea. Except I wouldn't eat cockroach.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    Ack! That is exactly why I can't eat lobster anymore. Somebody referred to them as that and I've never been able to erase it from my mind.:(
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Patent Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Ack! That is exactly why I can't eat lobster anymore. Somebody referred to them as that and I've never been able to erase it from my mind.:(
    They're extremely high in fat and cholesterol as well. Good idea not to eat them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    I gotta say that I love eating lobsters, BUT who was that first guy that grabbed one and said, wow, that looks good enuf to eat!!

Alien!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Politically tired.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    I got lobster one time, and all I could think of was what it looked like.

PETA would be better off running on that than this funny stuff. lol.

I watched a tv show about the life of Puritans in colonial Massachusetts and it claimed they fed lobsters to prisoners as punishment and fed it to children and servants.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I got lobster one time, and all I could think of was what it looked like.

PETA would be better off running on that than this funny stuff. lol.
    Most restaurants you just see the meat and not the horrible parts! And the meat is heaven!!
    If they gave it to you and you had tod do the breaking open and the gutting, I agree its gross!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.