Thread: Heads Up Florida: Extended cold could kill invasive iguanas

1. #1 Heads Up Florida: Extended cold could kill invasive iguanas 
    Extended cold could kill invasive iguanas
    Dropping temperatures slow down lizards

By Linda Trischitta, Sun Sentinel

9:04 p.m. EST, January 4, 2010
    E-mail Print Share Text Size

With this week's evening temperatures falling toward the upper 30s, strange fruit may drop from South Florida trees: non-native, invading iguanas that many residents consider more pest than pet.

"It's a big deal for me," Jessica Morgan, a Margate homeowner, said as she watched a yard-long, bright orange male iguana roam near her butterfly habitat. The reptile has a slightly smaller green girlfriend.

"They climb up on the bank and will poop on my dock," she said. "Fingers crossed that this cold snap will kill them. I don't have the heart to beat one to death. I hope the weather does it for me."

Iguanas become immobilized when the temperature drops into the 40s, as it did Sunday night, said Tiffany Snow, nuisance-wildlife biologist for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. While they usually revive when the temperature rises, they could die if it remains below 40 degrees for three days or so, she said.

It is legal to kill iguanas, but it must be done humanely. Among the options is decapitation. Some local animal control authorities will accept live iguanas that have been trapped, Snow said.

"If somebody is looking to trap them, I guess right now would be a good time because they're not moving," she said.
    Stand by for the inevitable stories of drunken Floridians beating each other to death with frozen iguanas. :D

Sun Sentinel

Power CUer
    they will head to heat sources. stories of blue hairs being eaten by maurading packs of them !

Quote Originally Posted by dogtowner View Post
    they will head to heat sources. stories of blue hairs being eaten by maurading packs of them !
    I think even the Snowbird crowd could outrun a frozen iguana but who knows really? :D

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I think even the Snowbird crowd could outrun a frozen iguana but who knows really? :D
    What if the batteries in their Hoverounds freeze up...what then, what then??? :eek:

:D
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    What if the batteries in their Hoverounds freeze up...what then, what then??? :eek:

:D

and they wont notice them till they've lost a leg or two.
    carnage I tell ya, carnage !

Quote Originally Posted by dogtowner View Post
    and they wont notice them till they've lost a leg or two.
    carnage I tell ya, carnage !
    Yup, and lil' Miss Snaps just makes jokes about it...:eek::p
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

My dad would just smush them with one of his crutches. His mother would have caught them, thawed them out, skinned them and cooked them for dinner, though. No use letting meat go to waste.

The real question we need to be asking is if Shannon has these on her diet? :D

Iguana-pops! Who's up for one? Take it out of the freezer and eat it before it wakes up.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Politically tired.
    Stand by for the inevitable stories of drunken Floridians beating each other to death with frozen iguanas. :D

Sun Sentinel
    lol. Oh my gosh, you're probably right. :D