1. #1 Thirsty? Bacteria linked to feces found on soda fountains 
    Thirsty? Bacteria linked to feces found on soda fountains

Reported by: Daniel Champagne
    Email: dchampagne@abcactionnews.com
    Last Update: 1/06 10:46 pm

If you're chugging a soda from a fast food joint, you may want to put it down and read this.

A team of microbiologists from Hollins University found that 48% of the sodas they tested from fast food soda fountains had coliform bacteria, according to Tom Laskawy, a media and technology professional and blogger for grist.org.

Coliform is typically fecal in origin.

On top of that, the study found that most of the bacteria were resistant to antibiotics.

The team tested 90 beverages from 30 fountains, and published their findings in the International Journal of Food Microbiology.

Here is an excerpt from the abstract:

"...Coliform bacteria was detected in 48% of the beverages and 20% had a heterotrophic plate count greater than 500 cfu/ml. [...] More than 11% of the beverages analyzed contained Escherichia coli [E. Coli] and over 17% contained Chryseobacterium meningosepticum. Other opportunistic pathogenic microorganisms isolated from the beverages included species of Klebsiella, Staphylococcus, Stenotrophomonas, Candida, and Serratia. Most of the identified bacteria showed resistance to one or more of the 11 antibiotics tested."

Lawasky made sure to note that there has been only one recorded outbreak linked to soda fountains, and that was 10 years ago.

But, the bacteria could cause sickness that could go unreported and therefore never linked to soda fountains.
    So.... once again my deepest suspicions about commercial sugar drinks are confirmed. If you are going to drink a beverage made or managed by strangers, make sure that the alcohol content is over 5%.

ABC Action News

once again why you need to WASH YOUR FUCKING HANDS!!
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

A little bit of bacteria just helps raise your resistance.

I never drink the pop from the taps at 7-11 or other stores. I always buy bottles or cans. It has nothing to do with bacteria, though, and everything to do with how the pop on tap always gets watered down.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Yeah, to fast food restaurant poop-contamination. I'll pass. :(

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post

I never drink the pop from the taps at 7-11 or other stores. I always buy bottles or cans. It has nothing to do with bacteria, though, and everything to do with how the pop on tap always gets watered down.
    It also causes several long term fatal diseases.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Yeah, to fast food restaurant poop-contamination. I'll pass. :(
    It's amazing how often the hands go to the mouth/face during the day !

We,most of us,have seen those photos of phosphorescent powder sprinkled on the hands and later the face shown under 'black light' with the powder tracks around the mouth,eyes and jaws.

During the great cruse ship mystery illnesses a few years ago it was shown how much feces from very poor toilette hygiene ended up on stair guide rails around the cruise ships.

The cuisine served by the chiefs included green onions infected with E. coli from irrigation runoffs with animal wastes at some California vegetable growers .This caused diarrhea among some of the passengers that spread through the ships due to poor hygiene .

Humans by enlarge are filthy critters and we infect each other with our filth on a daily basis.

Most public restrooms in America are infectious pits of filthy waste .Some People who use them seem to pride themselves in their 'primitive defecation' techniques leaving their body wastes for all to see.

It has become even more disgusting with some primitive third world people come here who are accustomed to cleaning themselves with their bare hands after defecating .

Employment for young people who come to America from most countries who haven't specialty skills or college degrees are limited to lower level fastfood type employment.

They are required to wash their hands after any trip to the rest room but most employee restrooms lack hot enough water and antiseptic and effective sanitary measures to remove coliform bacteria from their hands after using them to remove human waste from their buttocks.

Even if they do effectively wash their hands they immediately cross contaminate themselves when the use any utensil handled by someone who was less efficient at cleansing themselves.

Even though most fast food places have their service people wearing latex gloves there is always cross contamination's.Wearing latex gloves doesn't prevent E. coli from growing and spreading from the glove surfaces once they are contaminated.

Escherichia coli (E. coli) is the major species in the fecal coliform group.

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    It also causes several long term fatal diseases.
    Fatal diseases are always long term!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    The disease might not be, but the fatallity is. :D
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Missed an and ?:D

I wonder what percentage is for coffee. The I don't drink sodas and when I'm out its coffee and/or water.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis