Thread: Getting veteran's (not your own) medical records

1. #1 Getting veteran's (not your own) medical records 
    Banned
    I see in the link above how to go about getting your own medical records from the army, but I have a question--

My mother wants to get her father's medical records from the VA--Not his medical records while in the army but his medical records AFTER he was discharged. We know he has to have at least a few records at the VA as he was treated on both an impatient and outpatient basis at the local VA around 1974 (he was discharged in 1945) for a Pulmonary Embolism, and ultimately died of a stroke at the same VA the next year. Basically we have his medical records from 1938-1946 (his military service years) but my mother wants his medical info from 1946-1975 (his death) for medical purposes.

We called the local VA where he was treated and died, gave social security number as well as his name yet he's not in their system--not even in their medical archives department, yet he definately should be as he got extensive treatment there in the last years of his life and even died on premises. Where do we go from there?

We have his complete medical records from while he was in the service but we are interested in solely his post-discharge medical history for family medical history
    Last edited by CaughtintheMiddle1990; 01-08-2010 at 10:07 PM.

Good luck, in 1975 the records were ALL paper and the VA is not good at keeping records for that long. I think there is a place in St. Louis, not sure. I Have all my active duty records on micro fishe, I have Zero copies of my records from VA.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Guy View Post
    Good luck, in 1975 the records were ALL paper and the VA is not good at keeping records for that long. I think there is a place in St. Louis, not sure. I Have all my active duty records on micro fishe, I have Zero copies of my records from VA.
    Yeah, it was pretty easy getting my grandpa's military service and military medical records and even copies of his medals--Took about 4 months but was relatively easy. Because of the fire in '73, we don't know why he got his various medals which sucks--It would've been nice to know what he did to earn them, particularly since a few had V Devices attached.

But I hope the place in St. Louis can get his post-army medical records. I mean he died in their care so they should at least have a copy of that.