Thread: Introverted Strategies.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Introverted Strategies. 
    The conversation in Bad Cat's thread is fascinating but it got me thinking about we introverts manage life in the giant, shiny, Disneyesque world that 80% + of our fellow human beings have designed for us.

Let's face it: every institution, tradition, workplace, or "event" is designed for the comfort and enjoyment of our extroverted friends. We have had to design a lot of work-around in order to function successfully.

As an example, I actually entertain a lot. Because I'm the hostess, I'm always flitting around and I never get trapped in horrifying conversations. Since people never reciprocate anymore, I never have to go to their house and interact with their chaotic environment. Since they all have a great time and talk about it for weeks afterward, they think I'm "normal" and they don't try to fix me.

What are your tips for managing our extroverted friends and their collections of bright, shiny social events? :D

Are we supposed to talk about feelings!:eek:

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    I know what you mean Ginger.

One thing that I use is a sense of humor. I've actually had my sense of humor mentioned (in a positive way) in my appraisals. Specifically, that my sense of humor helps with the overally morale in the office and that I have often used it to diffuse difficult situations.

I am also large, and that helps. :D
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Are we supposed to talk about feelings!:eek:
    Only if you can frame it in a witty or sarcastic way. :p

I mostly work alone, but I do teach a lot. I find teaching easy, I control the enviroment. And like Bubba, I use humor quite a bit, being large also helps.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Only if you can frame it in a witty or sarcastic way. :p
    they think I'm "normal" and they don't try to fix me.
    It has never been one of my number one concerns whether people consider me normal or not!

It has never been one of my number one concerns whether people consider me normal or not!
    I'm not concerned about it. I just don't care for a well-meaning friend to attempt to make me enjoy surprise parties or spa days with the girls.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    I'm sure you find that helpful.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I'm not concerned about it. I just don't care for a well-meaning friend to attempt to make me enjoy surprise parties or spa days with the girls.
    I'm just not much on social gatherings anymore, people come out to shoot all the time and I guess thats the way I like to visit, while pursuing an activity.

I'm just not much on social gatherings anymore, people come out to shoot all the time and I guess thats the way I like to visit, while pursuing an activity.
    Bingo! I can hang out with the BFF in an open-ended way but otherwise I prefer activity-centered social encounters. I like to see or do things and then discuss it at the time.