Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 "Duke it Out! Which Wayne Classic Deserves Top Billing?" 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    John Wayne's Best Movies
    "Duke it Out! Which Wayne Classic Deserves Top Billing?"

VOTE
    The Searchers
    This John Ford Western chronicles the efforts of a Confederate veteran (Wayne) to track down the daughter of his murdered brother. 206 316

2 Rio Bravo
    The Duke and Dean Martin are the pair of old friends at the heart of this Howard Hawks hit, in which the pair tussles with a local lawbreaker. 198 314

3 The Quiet Man
    Wayne shows his softer side with this drama about the tempestuous affair between an Irish-American expat and an Irish woman. 184 306

4 The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
    In this John Ford Western, Wayne stars as a rancher who pairs up with a law school grad (James Stewart) to take down the bad guy. 176 274

5 True Grit
    Wayne's Oscar-winning turn as aging sheriff Rooster Cogburn finds him trekking into Indian territory to avenge a man's death. 172 286

6 The Shootist
    The actor's last movie ever finds Wayne starring opposite Lauren Bacall and James Stewart as a gunslinger dying of cancer. 170 278

7 Stagecoach
    For Wayne's breakout performance, he plays good-at-heart outlaw Ringo, who wins over a group of lawmen defending an east-bound train. 160 252

8 She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
    This vivid, meditative Western finds Wayne portraying an aging war hero struggling with his impending retirement. 156 250

9 Red River
    This early Howard Hawks Western stars Wayne as a rancher who battles mutiny among his men as he drives his cattle up the Chisholm Trail. 155 253

10 Sands of Iwo Jima

http://movies.amctv.com/movie-guide/...est-movies.php

Power CUer
    The Searchers is not only the best John Wayne movie ever made, it's one of the greatest American films, period. It might be the best western ever made. Red River is a close second.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

I'm partial to Rooster Cogburn, but that's because I'm a Kate fan. They were good together, though. I also like the drunken cat.

I like movies that really capture the landscapes of the american west-like John Wayne's movies, or even Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid.

I'd go with "The man who shot Liberty Valance" and then "The searchers" and then "The shootist"

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I'm partial to Rooster Cogburn, but that's because I'm a Kate fan. They were good together, though. I also like the drunken cat.

I like movies that really capture the landscapes of the american west-like John Wayne's movies, or even Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCeGBrKe1rE

No love for Big Jake?
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

I almost let slip, "The longest day" even though Wayne only had a small part, it's one of my favorite war movies. Also, in that same vein, "In Harm's Way">

Banned
    As an over all movie, I agree with Meg on The Searchers. It is a landmark film and quite possibly the best western ever. It was decades ahead of it's time in showing the darkside of the American West and nothing similar was done again until High Plains Drifter.

As a performance, The Duke as J. B. Books, an aging gunslinger dying of cancer was probably the best in The Shootist..

Sorry but The Quiet Man is the Dukes best all time movie, followed closely by the Shootist. End of Discussion!:mad::D

Quote Originally Posted by Mau10man View Post
    Sorry but The Quiet Man is the Dukes best all time movie, followed closely by the Shootist. End of Discussion!:mad::D
    They are ALL good!