1. #1 Audiences experience 'Avatar' blues 
    Audiences experience 'Avatar' blues

By Jo Piazza, Special to CNN
    January 11, 2010 8:06 a.m. EST

"Avatar" is on track to be the highest grossing film of all time, but some viewers say it leaves them depressed. Some fans say James Cameron's "Avatar" may have been too real

(CNN) -- James Cameron's completely immersive spectacle "Avatar" may have been a little too real for some fans who say they have experienced depression and suicidal thoughts after seeing the film because they long to enjoy the beauty of the alien world Pandora.

On the fan forum site "Avatar Forums," a topic thread entitled "Ways to cope with the depression of the dream of Pandora being intangible," has received more than 1,000 posts from people experiencing depression and fans trying to help them cope. The topic became so popular last month that forum administrator Philippe Baghdassarian had to create a second thread so people could continue to post their confused feelings about the movie.

"I wasn't depressed myself. In fact the movie made me happy ," Baghdassarian said. "But I can understand why it made people depressed. The movie was so beautiful and it showed something we don't have here on Earth. I think people saw we could be living in a completely different world and that caused them to be depressed."
    A post by a user called Elequin expresses an almost obsessive relationship with the film.

"That's all I have been doing as of late, searching the Internet for more info about 'Avatar.' I guess that helps. It's so hard I can't force myself to think that it's just a movie, and to get over it, that living like the Na'vi will never happen. I think I need a rebound movie," Elequin posted.
    A user named Mike wrote on the fan Web site "Naviblue" that he contemplated suicide after seeing the movie.

"Ever since I went to see 'Avatar' I have been depressed. Watching the wonderful world of Pandora and all the Na'vi made me want to be one of them. I can't stop thinking about all the things that happened in the film and all of the tears and shivers I got from it," Mike posted. "I even contemplate suicide thinking that if I do it I will be rebirthed in a world similar to Pandora and the everything is the same as in 'Avatar.' "
    Other fans have expressed feelings of disgust with the human race and disengagement with reality.
    Oh, please. It's a MOVIE, not a lifestyle. I don't know how it works on Pandora but right here on Earth hunter/gatherer lifestyles are dangerous, riddled with sexual exploitation, and subject to oppressive group conformity. Grow up!

CNN

For crying out loud people! It's only a movie!

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    For crying out loud people! It's only a movie!

A whole new group of Democrat voters.

It's also a racist movie.

From Essence.
    The premise of the movie is simple and somewhat familiar: a white man goes and lives with the "natives", learns their ways and somehow becomes their leader. If it sounds familiar it may be because the theme has been visited in movies like Kevin Costner's "Dances with Wolves" and last summer's South African sci-fi "District 9" says writer Annalee Newitz on the sci-fi blog I09. Newitz calls the all too familiar plot "a fantasy about race told from the point of view of white people."

In films like 'Avatar' she continues, "Humans are the cause of alien oppression and distress. Then, a white man who was one of the oppressors switches sides at the last minute, assimilating into the alien culture and becoming its savior."

Will Heaven of the Telegraph questions why the Na'vi (the blue skinned "natives") wear African jewelry and dreadlocks and are voiced by black actors like Zoe Saldana, Laz Alonso and C.C.H. Pounder. "The ethnic Na'vi," he writes, "need the White man to save them because, as a less developed race, they lack the intelligence and fortitude to overcome their adversaries by themselves."
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

5. #5 Go 
    Who wants to stand outside the theater with me and hand out razor blades and plastic bags?
    ________
    MARIJUANA CARD
    Last edited by obx; 03-21-2011 at 05:59 PM.

What do you mean it is just a movie? It is more than that. It is 45 minutes of action packed adventure just crammed into 2 hours and 40 minutes.

I want my money back......... :D

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by obx View Post
    Who wants to stand outside the theater with me and hand out razor blades and plastic bags?
    That's evil!! :mad:

Well done. :D Some...no all...of those posting idiots need a slap in the face.
    May the FORCE be with you!

You have to remember that todays kids have been taught to view everything emotionally. They don't know how to think logically and if you try to make them do so - you end up in trouble. I know.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by obx View Post
    tempting . . . very tempting . . . .:D
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    You have to remember that todays kids have been taught to view everything emotionally. They don't know how to think logically and if you try to make them do so - you end up in trouble. I know.
    Yep.... It's ALL "touchy feely" now.

We don't prepare them for the vissitudes and setbacks of life, in short, adulthood. Instead we spoil them, do not teach them self control and discipline and we get a bunch of vagrants who's only desire in life is to get the Government to take care of them and support them, just like mommie and daddy.

Bah! Humbug!

LS
    The first sign of impending serfdom is when you trade your self determination, your individual responsibility and your vote to the Government in return for subsistance. -LS-