Thread: Alexander Solzhenitsyn dies at 89

1. #1 Alexander Solzhenitsyn dies at 89 
    Russian writer Alexander Solzhenitsyn, who exposed Stalin's prison system in his novels and spent 20 years in exile, has died at 89, Russian media say.

The author of One Day In The Life Of Ivan Denisovich and the Gulag Archipelago, who returned to Russia in 1994, reportedly died of a stroke.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7540038.stm

Resident Grump
    One of the greatest literary minds of the last century..a single voice against Communist evil. :(

I will remember him.

Power CUer
    Then he got here to the United States and thought we were evil, too. He was a good writer, but not someone you'd actually want to know.

A very brave man
    Aint but three things in this world thats worth a solitary dime,
    But old dogs and children and watermelon wine.
    Tom T. Hall

noonwitch
    I had to read Cancer Ward for my college freshman lit class. It was an excellent book for that kind of class, and I was in college when the USSR was still in power.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Then he got here to the United States and thought we were evil, too. He was a good writer, but not someone you'd actually want to know.
    Did he really? I didn't know that. What soured him on the US?

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Did he really? I didn't know that. What soured him on the US?
    You'd probably have to google for details, since I'm thinking back over thirty years now, but mostly he was a colossal grump - he thought we didn't "do" freedom well, that we were "weak", and he hated rock n' roll. He was sort of a "Hey, you kids, get off of my lawn!" type. :p

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    You'd probably have to google for details, since I'm thinking back over thirty years now, but mostly he was a colossal grump - he thought we didn't "do" freedom well, that we were "weak", and he hated rock n' roll. He was sort of a "Hey, you kids, get off of my lawn!" type. :p
    Ah. Rock 'n roll killed the children and all that. Oh well....

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    What soured him on the US?
    Rampant capitalism.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

It has made man the measure of all things on earth—imperfect man, who is never free of pride, self-interest, envy, vanity, and dozens of other defects. We are now paying for the mistakes which were not properly appraised at the beginning of the journey. On the way from the Renaissance to our days we have enriched our experience, but we have lost the concept of a Supreme Complete Entity which used to restrain our passions and our irresponsibility.

Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)