Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Foodie Wednesday. 
    We're still trying to warm up. I blame the Stock Show. No matter what the scientific temperature is, it's actually always 20 degrees lower when the Stock Show is going on.

This is the time of year when every food pundit from Bobbie Flay to your Aunt Martha likes to predict the top fads and fashions in food for the coming year. Here's a fairly honest take on the phenomena:

1. Old shit updated

This one’s easy. Every year, the fancy boys and girls of the glossy food establishment take some boring old thing your grandmama used to make, add guancale or shallot tarragon butter or some shit, then serve it back to you on a warmed-over platter. A few years ago there was a mac and cheese revival. Then it was pigs in a blanket. Next year it will be beef stroganoff with pork belly apple brandy gravy mole. And you’ll pay $38 for some egg noodles and chuck roast.

2. Science

The rise of molecular gastronomy went from kooky to awesome to tired to really tired in about one calendar year, but that won’t stop high-falutin’ restaurateurs from Bangor to Bakersfield from serving overturned pony snifters of pear vapor and carbonized tranches of distilled mango ether. Thanks for the $78! Enjoy the Burger King drive-thru on the way home!

3. Locavorism

In my liberal suburban enclave, we all agree that eating locally as much as possible equals responsible stewardship of the land and its inhabitants. In fact, I consider people who think otherwise to be subhumans who should be ground up, dried, and woven into reusable grocery bags. That’s why every restaurant I patronize during 2010 will make a grandiose effort to convince me that the bananas in my split were cultivated just a mile from where we sit. “Hell, these tablecloths were made by my grandmother, who rents an apartment out back!” the menu will say.
    Paxarcana

TOTD: What food trends do you see in the coming year? This can be for home, ordinary restaurant fare, or fine dining. :D

It is almost lamb chop time. I can't believe Linda Numbas is letting you get away with"foodie"!

There seems to be a real surgence of folks taking up home brewing and home distilling. Everyone I talk to lately seems to be making their own beer or wine. I'm waiting for one of my friends to tell me they're making bathtub gin, fer chrissakes!

Personally, I've converted our spare bathroom into my own brewery and I've got a pale ale ready to bottle this weekend. Should be drinkable by March.

:D
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people.
    It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."
    -- John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by aerojarod View Post
    There seems to be a real surgence of folks taking up home brewing and home distilling. Everyone I talk to lately seems to be making their own beer or wine. I'm waiting for one of my friends to tell me they're making bathtub gin, fer chrissakes!

Personally, I've converted our spare bathroom into my own brewery and I've got a pale ale ready to bottle this weekend. Should be drinkable by March.

:D
    Aero's Bathroom Blend!:eek:

I wonder if we'll see some gimmicks fade away. I bought one of those "steamer" frozen veggie things to try. It was awful and expensive.

It's sunny today, so it feels a little warmer. It's supposed to be warm tomorrow and Friday (38 instead of 15).

I have no idea what the next food trend is going to be, but I'm always willing to try anything that doesn't look disgusting.

Here's the Epicurious link

my it's pretentious.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    It is almost lamb chop time. I can't believe Linda Numbas is letting you get away with"foodie"!
    It's a real term. The only trend I see for the coming year is that I will be continuing to tuck into my three square meals a day. :p
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

$ menu food items will go microscopic $5 menu items will shrink but you get your choice of multiples...

The only decent one of those I'VE seen is that mexican joint attached to Carl's jr/Hardees. Their two red burritos for $5 are ginormtanic :eek:
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    It's a real term. The only trend I see for the coming year is that I will be continuing to tuck into my three square meals a day. :p
    Well that settles that! It's lunch time, I'm
    going to take my booty to some foodie!