1. #1 MLK Menu Outrages Some, Black School Official Pushes Back! 
    DPS menu for MLK birthday hard for some to digest

By Jeremy P. Meyer
    The Denver Post
    Posted: 01/13/2010 01:00:00 AM MST

Denver Public Schools apologized Tuesday for what it called a "well-intentioned but highly insensitive" attempt to honor the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

Friday's DPS lunch menu, headlined "In Honor Of M.L. King," offered students "Southern Style" chicken and collard greens — a meal that some say is an offensive caricature of black culture.

In a statement issued Tuesday night and posted on the school district's website, DPS spokesman Michael Vaughn said the meal was "highly insensitive in light of certain hurtful cultural stereotypes still harbored in parts of our society."

"Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. is one of the greatest leaders and civil rights heroes in our country's history," Vaughn said. "We are working with all of our schools to ensure that our students appreciate the enduring legacy of Dr. King's work and life and the extraordinary importance of his message in our community today."

In December, Jennifer Holladay, mother of a Denver kindergartner and former director of Teaching Tolerance — a project of the Southern Poverty Law Center — saw the lunch menu for the next month and noticed the menu listing for Jan. 15. Holladay said she was instantly upset.

"Denver Public Schools are great because they are so diverse, but this sort of thing undermines the positive things that kids can get in school," said Holladay, who is white but whose husband is black.

"I am an anti-bias educator, and this is the type of thing I work with all the time," she said.

"It's a teachable moment for DPS and for people across the country. These caricatures can slip in without any malicious intent."

She said she called DPS food service to complain, left messages but never heard back from anyone in the district.

Nate Easley Jr., the school board president, who represents northeast Denver, said he thinks there are bigger problems facing DPS than what is on the lunch menu.

"I don't think people woke up in the morning and said how can we offend people," Easley said.

"As a black man, the things that offend me more is how we are doing with kids in the district," he said.

"It's not having kids graduating and doing well. The outcomes of the district are more offensive to me than someone trying to do the right thing and being offensive."

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/ci_14176531#ixzz0cVTWfAlI
    Dude! You're The Man! I have no idea what MLK preferred to eat but I'll bet he ate a lot of chicken and greens as all Southerners have (and do). Those foods are characteristic of the South in general, not blacks in particular. But even if they were only eaten by blacks - wouldn't diversity be better served by introducing them to a Hispanic-majority school system?

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Dude! You're The Man! I have no idea what MLK preferred to eat but I'll bet he ate a lot of chicken and greens as all Southerners have (and do). Those foods are characteristic of the South in general, not blacks in particular. But even if they were only eaten by blacks - wouldn't diversity be better served by introducing them to a Hispanic-majority school system?
    I really like southern food like this. I guess that means I'm part Negro? Kudos to this guy. We get our feelings hurt too easily by this kind of crap.

MLK was a great man. I bought two of his best speeches online because I liked his message. Current leaders of the Black community ought to be ashamed of where they have hijacked and steered MLK's legacy.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

First off - greens are N - A - S - T - Y: NASTY.:p

Second off - how is any more insensitive than having other 'themed' menus? Are taco's racist? What about spaghetti?
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post

Second off - how is any more insensitive than having other 'themed' menus? Are taco's racist? What about spaghetti?
    Yum,,Spaghetti Tacos. Gotta get me sum dat.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

5. #5 Go 

Correction, greens are t-a-s-t-y ;tasty. And so is okra.
    ________
    Nevada dispensaries
    Last edited by obx; 03-21-2011 at 06:00 PM.

Power CUer
    no watermellon seed spitting contest ?

sheesh, gimme a break

Quote Originally Posted by obx View Post
    Correction, greens are t-a-s-t-y ;tasty. And so is okra.
    :eek: you are a sick unit. :p

Banned
    :eek: you are a sick unit. :p
    Man, you do not know what you missing. Purple hull peas with whole okra seasoned with ham hocks is out of this world delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    Man, you do not know what you missing. Purple hull peas with whole okra seasoned with ham hocks is out of this world delicious.
    You got that right. Fresh picked purple hulls in the fall are the best. There is something wrong with city people!

You all can enjoy your weeds - I'll eat vegetables myself. :p