Thread: "Obama's Czar,Sunstein,U.S. Government Should Ban"Conspiracy Theorizing."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 "Obama's Czar,Sunstein,U.S. Government Should Ban"Conspiracy Theorizing." 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Top Obama czar: Infiltrate all 'conspiracy theorists'

"Rewrite the Constitution to include what he terms his "First Amendment New Deal"

Sunstein: Ban 'right wing' rumors

In a lengthy academic paper , President Obama's regulatory czar, Cass Sunstein, argued the U.S. government should ban "conspiracy theorizing." Among the beliefs Sunstein would ban is advocating that the theory of global warming is a deliberate fraud.

Sunstein also recommended the government send agents to infiltrate "extremists who supply conspiracy theories" to disrupt the efforts of the "extremists" to propagate their theories.

In a 2008 Harvard law paper, "Conspiracy Theories," Sunstein and co-author Adrian Vermeule, a Harvard law professor, ask, "What can government do about conspiracy theories?" "We can readily imagine a series of possible responses. Sunstein said government agents "might enter chat rooms, online social networks, or even real-space groups and attempt to undermine percolating conspiracy theories by raising doubts about their factual premises, causal logic or implications for political action."

Sunstein defined a conspiracy theory as "an effort to explain some event or practice by reference to the machinations of powerful people, who have also managed to conceal their role."

Some "conspiracy theories" recommended for ban by Sunstein include:

* "The theory of global warming is a deliberate fraud."

* "The view that the Central Intelligence Agency was responsible for the assassination of President John F. Kennedy."

* "The 1996 crash of TWA flight 800 was caused by a U.S. military missile."

* "The Trilateral Commission is responsible for important movements of the international economy."

* "That Martin Luther King Jr. was killed by federal agents."

* "The moon landing was staged and never actually occurred."

Sunstein allowed that "some conspiracy theories, under our definition, have turned out to be true."

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=121884

Nothing like limiting free speech.

Once again that pesky ole 1st amendment just gets in the way of the lib utopia.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by sgrooms View Post
    Nothing like limiting free speech.
    you're not taking a story from WND seriously are you?
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    you're not taking a story from WND seriously are you?
    Uhhh.... look who posted it. There's your answer.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

"The theory of global warming is a deliberate fraud."
    This one is in the wrong category. May I suggest Junk Science or fabricated mass hysteria instead?
    * "The view that the Central Intelligence Agency was responsible for the assassination of President John F. Kennedy."
    Just explain all the evidence tampering and we'll let this one go back to the dust bin of history.

* "The 1996 crash of TWA flight 800 was caused by a U.S. military missile."
    I heard this once. Who continues this one?
    * "The Trilateral Commission is responsible for important movements of the international economy."
    Never heard this one.

* "That Martin Luther King Jr. was killed by federal agents."
    Never hard this one either.
    * "The moon landing was staged and never actually occurred."
    This one is actually funny. Somebody needs to tell the Russians, they believe it.

Cass, you ignorant fool. If you succeed in trampling the 1st Amendment, you will piss off 90% of your support. Most of these idiots come from your camp.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Uhhh.... look who posted it. There's your answer.
    Moo is a lost cause he doesn't read what he posts- he just copies and pasts from FR. I'm hoping that other people will use their brains though and reject WND as a news source.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Moo is a lost cause he doesn't read what he posts- he just copies and pasts from FR. I'm hoping that other people will use their brains though and reject WND as a news source.
    World Nut Daily tends to be a complete embarrassment to our cause at least 90% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mau10man View Post
    World Nut Daily tends to be a complete embarrassment to our cause at least 90% of the time.
    exactly my point. I used to read there until I realized how far off into the ozone they are.

How about this site? http://www.allacademic.com//meta/p_m.../p106938-1.php

I only read a few pages of his thesis, but it appeared to me it could be construed as what WND reported. And I think this site is fairly credible.
    Last edited by AlmostThere; 01-14-2010 at 04:51 PM.
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.