Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by NonConformist View Post
    Since all he does is troll and start shit why is he still here?
    It's our little pink eyed albino chew toy.It has to be flushed occasionally to get the evil crap from its fur but if it gets too bad just put it on ignore !

Quote Originally Posted by YupItsMe View Post
    The public school sytem churns out morons like you and those responsible are proud of it. No wonder she wanted out.
    Thanks. Another reason was one of the darlings pulled a knife on me and held it to my throat in the front of the class. The lib principal said it was a "personality problem". The reality was the student was fresh out of reform school and the principal was afraid of him.

Who was the coward? The principal or me, who held still and stared him down and demanded that he put the knive on the desk?

I had it forever with teaching.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Thanks. Another reason was one of the darlings pulled a knife on me and held it to my throat in the front of the class. The lib principal said it was a "personality problem". The reality was the student was fresh out of reform school and the principal was afraid of him.

Who was the coward? The principal or me, who held still and stared him down and demanded that he put the knive on the desk?

I had it forever with teaching.
    I'm sorry you went through that. :(

The NEA doesn't represent all teachers. It is a large labor union, and they've always taken political stands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa...on_Association

I do question how appropriate it is to be this open with politics when education is involved. Most teachers try to keep their political thoughts to themselves in class as much as possible.

The NEA and those representing it at an NEA convention should only be promoting issues that deal with education. As private citizens they can make any public declaration that they want, but when meeting as an educational group making public statements about social issues is beyond their scope in my opinion. The dismal performance by the average student is evidence enough that the NEA should be focused more on teaching basic math, science and reading skills and less on informing children on their stance on social issues.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by NonConformist View Post
    Since all he does is troll and start shit why is he still here?
    Especially after promising never to come back after his paper on us was done.

Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    Especially after promising never to come back after his paper on us was done.
    He's addicted!

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    The NEA and those representing it at an NEA convention should only be promoting issues that deal with education. As private citizens they can make any public declaration that they want, but when meeting as an educational group making public statements about social issues is beyond their scope in my opinion. The dismal performance by the average student is evidence enough that the NEA should be focused more on teaching basic math, science and reading skills and less on informing children on their stance on social issues.
    I want to agree, but I'm looking at past issues they came out for.

From wiki:

They lobbied for a Dept. of Ed, they lobbied for child labor laws which made school compulory (so kids didn't have to work in the factories anymore, and could go to school). Too lazy to write the rest.

1910s: responding to increased immigration, NEA renewed lobbying efforts for a national Department of Education that would help fund programs to reduce illiteracy, train teachers, and equalize education opportunities for all children
    1912: NEA endorses Women's Suffrage
    1919: NEA members in New Jersey lead the way to the nation's first state pension; by 1945, every state had a pension plan in effect
    1941: NEA successfully lobbied Congress for special funding for public schools near military bases
    1945: NEA lobbied for the G.I. Bill of Rights to help returning soldiers continue their education
    1958: NEA helps gain passage of the National Defense Education Act
    1964: NEA lobbies to pass the Civil Rights Act
    1968: NEA leads an effort to establish the Bilingual Education Act
    1974: NEA backs a case heard before the U.S. Supreme Court that proposes to make unlawful the firing of pregnant teachers or forced maternity leave
    1984: NEA fights for and wins passage of a federal retirement equity law that provides the means to end sex discrimination against women in retirement funds
    Maybe some don't agree with all of that, but I think most of us here agree with most of it. Truth is their lobbying often has had a lot to do with education. And some of it seems like it would be offensive if they did not take a stand on it (ex. Women's sufferage, which does indirectly affect education).

I have to say if I was in the NEA, I would have said that we shouldn't take a stand as a group on this (only as individuals).

However, I'd like to point out something. Kids hating gays (and pretty much being taught to hate gays) has affected homosexuals in the education system. Actually, those kids mostly have affected those rumored to be gay in the educational system. If a kid is just rumored to be gay, they are harrassed, and sometimes beaten up on. Sometimes the teachers are willing to do something about it. Sometimes, they're not for whatever dumb reason. And the teachers trying to discipline for this does no good if the parents come into the school and give their support to their bullying kid (which parents often don't want to hear that their kid is being trouble). Some people say that the answer is to crack down on bullying in general and not make it a gay issue. I agree with that, but I have to say a really huge amount of bullying has to do with older kids being gay or just rumored to be gay. When they do finally get off their ass and start cracking down more on bullying, they are going to be accused of having a gay agenda.

Eyelids
    Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    When eyes-wide-shut first came to CU, didn't he lie and pretend to be a teacher?
    I came for the demented ideologies and stayed for, well, the demented ideologies. This site is a drug.

If at home I'm at CU.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyelids View Post
    I came for the demented ideologies and stayed for, well, the demented ideologies. This site is a drug.

If at home I'm at CU.

Hey!

A LIAR and a Masochist!

What are the odds...