View Poll Results: What major engineering project would you like the United States to start?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Undersea railroad between Alaska and Russia.

0 0%
  • Sky elevator to outer space

1 12.50%
  • Colonizing the moon

0 0%
  • Colonizing Mars

3 37.50%
  • A permanent space station with people living out there

1 12.50%
  • Colonizing the ocean floors

1 12.50%
  • Other.

2 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 What should be our next big goal for the United States? 
    I would like to try and keep politics out of this thread if possible and I will post a poll in a bit but I was just watching "Mega-Engineering" on the Discovery Channel and the show was all about building an intercontinental railroad underneath the Bering Sea, connecting Russia and the North American continent. Of course they were trying to go into detail about all the major conflicts with such a project.

For practical reasons, we know that whatever project that comes down the pike, they can say it will be a multi-national effort but reality shows that it is the United States that picks up 90-100% of the bill on these contracts.

For me, I would like to see an effort to colonize the ocean floors., I want to see vast communities of people living underwater, mining and farming the resources down their for OUR benefit.

What projects would you like to see and why and like I said, a poll is forthcoming.

I'd settle for getting our own oil off our continents before China sucks it all up.:mad: Sorry, it's difficult to keep this apolitical when politics is the ONLY reason we aren't doing it.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    I'd settle for getting our own oil off our continents before China sucks it all up.:mad: Sorry, it's difficult to keep this apolitical when politics is the ONLY reason we aren't doing it.
    Can you at least try? I am trying to get an idea for projects that we haven't already started but sorry, we already can offshore oil drill. Im talking BIG projects like what JFK did with the space program.

And for the Warhammer 40K fans out there, I forgot to add the option of building "hive cities".....:D

Other: Alchemy. We could use the gold.
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

Banned
    A balanced budget. The other options are probably more realistic though.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    A balanced budget. The other options are probably more realistic though.
    I tried to start a non political thread here folks. Can you please put politics aside for just a fucking moment?

Quote Originally Posted by Mau10man View Post
    I tried to start a non political thread here folks. Can you please put politics aside for just a fucking moment?

Oh. In that case, I got nothin'.
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

Sonnabend
    Mars.

Get all our eggs out of one basket, colonise and work from there. Build the ships in orbit.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mau10man View Post
    And for the Warhammer 40K fans out there, I forgot to add the option of building "hive cities".....:D
    OT but Warhammer 40K FTW...Not to be OT but do you also like Warhammer Fantasy?

And on topic--Colonizing Mars. We need to make the futuristic US envisioned in the 30s-50s a reality. It's the 21st century, let's make it the 21st century our grandparents and great grandparents dreamt it wouldbe. We got so sidetracked with Vietnam, all the social crises and even now with distractions such as gay marriage and whatnot that we've lost sight of greater goals, of making greater dreams a reality.

If I was President I'd love to revolutionize America--not politically, but scientifically, architectually--Make us a nation of the world's greatest scientists, engineers, thinkers--We need people who have bold but realistic dreams. We live in 2010 much like we did in 1960, with mainly superficial things changed and some social changes. Our buildings and cities are for the most part much the same. We've lost the sense of awe that scientific discovery once brought. The 21st century dreamed about in the 50s and early 60s never arrived.

There was a time and a generation who felt that America could do anything it put it's resources to--I agree with that. But we lost that optimism and that bold inventiveness with a cynical and whiny generation brainwashed by anti-Americans in the 60s that was more interested in smoking dope than getting shit done. Even now, there's so much cynicism as to what America is, or the state she's in or the mistakes she made in the past, that we've lost dreaming--We've gone from talking about what great things America could do to Marxist professors teaching my generation and our nation's children about the ''horrible things evil capitalist America did (two hundred years ago).''

We should conquer space. If we don't do it first,some other nation will, and that would be a tragedy.
    Last edited by CaughtintheMiddle1990; 01-16-2010 at 05:19 PM.