Thread: Few questions about Reagan
#1 Few questions about Reagan
01-16-2010, 05:38 PM
- Join Date
- Nov 2009
1) Was there ever a ''Kissinger'' to Reagan? I don't mean literally Henry Kissinger but I mean an advisor/cabinet member who had great influence in shaping foreign policy alongside President Reagan? Was there any ''Kissinger'' equivalent in Reagan's domestic policy?
2) Who were the most important figures in Reagan's administration and/or most influencial?
3) Why did Al Haig only last a year and a half as Secretary of State? I know about the whole "I am in control here" controversy but that was in March '81 and Haig was Sec of State until the summer of 1982.
4) Did President Reagan ever comment on the policy of detente, whether as candidate, governor or President?
5) While Reagan's relationship with Gorbachev is well known--''Tear down this wall'', and their various summits, I am curious--What was Reagan's relationship or foreign policy toward the USSR during from 1981-1985, basically his relationship with Breznev, Andropov and Chernenko ?
6) I've often heard it mentioned that Reagan seriously considered making fmr. President Gerald Ford his running mate in 1980, and that what stopped Reagan was Ford wanting to essentially be a ''co-president'' or have greater power than any previous VP--any truth to this? If it's true do you think it would've effected the election's outcome in any major way?
7) Why did Reagan continue to keep a generally friendly relationship with China, even though they were communist?
8) An opinion question--Do any of you think George H.W. Bush was a bad pick for Vice President, and if so who in your opinion would've been a better pick?
9) Also, what do you think would've happened had Reagan won the nomination and general election in 1968 or 1976?
10) Can someone give me a general overview of his/actions/foreign policy/domestic policy during his first term? It seems that while his second term is well known, because of his ending of the Cold War, his first term is much less discussed.
11) Reagan, along with Nelson Rockefeller and Gerald Ford, were the leading 'candidates'' to replace Spiro Agnew as VP in 1973 after Agnew resigned-Nixon personally disliked the idea as John Connally was his ideal pick for replacing Agnew, but in the end Ford was chosen because of his moderate politics which Nixon felt would placate both GOP liberals and conservative, his popularity in the Senate, and the fact that he was considered so un-presidential that Nixon thought of him as a form of 'insurance' against impeachment. However, if Reagan had been named VP in 1973, he would've become President in 1974...How do you think history would've been different had Reagan been sworn in as President on August 9th 1974 rather than Ford?
Just curious..Reagan's presidency fascinates me as there really isn't any true objective sources on it--It's either from the point of view of those who HATE him or those who LOVE him. I'm not ''asking for help with homework''--I am generally curious as to some facts of Reagan's presidency and I figured conservatives would be the best to ask as they'd know most about the man and his tenure as our CiC.
Last edited by CaughtintheMiddle1990; 01-16-2010 at 06:03 PM.
01-16-2010, 05:40 PM
- Join Date
- May 2008
- Northern Virginia
Read the sources who hate and the sources who love, and strike an average in the middle. :)
Given the relationship between the two men, and the differences in their ideas, #6 may be dismissed out of hand."Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
SonnabendGuest01-16-2010, 06:12 PM
Seems to me that you should be doing your own research.
I'm not ''asking for help with homework''
"The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)
|« Previous Thread | Next Thread »|