1. #1 How Democrats view autism 
    This pissed me off:

http://www.democrats.com/node/17123

Submitted by I hate republicans on July 8, 2008 - 2:49pm.

I am writing about a topic near and dear to my heart - children with Autism and their families. Did you know that parents of these children can lose the other children in their home because of the Autistic child??!! It is true and I know it to be true as it has happened to me!

Fact: Although there are methods of working with children with a Pervasive Developmental Disorder, MANY professionals are at a loss when it comes to these kids and what to do with them. They need to be kept updated, be required to be kept updated, as without such they cause more harm than good due to the mishandling of treatment with these kids!

Fact: It is difficult, if not impossible to obtain appropriate treatment for these kids because of the former fact.

Fact: As it in nearly impossible for both parents to work in a home with an Autistic child, most of us are flat broke with no hope on the horizon. SSI helps, but does not nearly cover the costs of dealing with these children.

Fact: Families of these kids are ruled by their needs. As social skills are not their forte, we are forced to live in secrecy, away from society. We have no privacy and conversations are controlled by their twistting of our words and spewing them out embarrassingly. There are no boundaries with these kids and parents have no privacy with them.

Ideally, parents of these kids will no longer be punished for having them in ANY way! There will be no custody issues of our "normal" children. We will be given the help that we need, via an aide in the home. If our children had health problems, we would be afforded nurses, qualified nurses, yet we get minimal help and are forced to live in a prison of our children's minds. We NEED help, a qualified aid, so that we can have a true family life, so that our divorce rate isn't so scary, so that we don't have to live like we are lepers. Our children need qualified help to insure their futures and they should have it without fighting from their parents. This country is neglecting the needs of these children. We, the families of them are sick of hearing "we don't know", when there is information out there. We are sick of having to search out agencies that DO know what they are doing with these kids because most don't. We are sick of watching our children disintigrate with the latter of these agencies! We are sick of being condemned to our lives when we KNOW there is help out there!

We, the families of the Autistic, invite you to live our lives for 1 month, and strongly feel that all agencies, government officials, involved with the funding of programs that DO help these children should live in our shoes for at least one month, so that they know what they are limiting, how they affect our lives! If you know whereof I speak, I strongly, strongly encourage you to open up your mouth and SCREAM!
    You can read my response in the comments.
    OPEACHMENT NOW!!!

Stinger:
    "I was... ordered to drop my pants, bend over and spread my cheeks."
    --RagingInMiami achieving the DUmp's highest level of nirvana

Quote Originally Posted by jinxmchue View Post
    This pissed me off:

I read your comments. You're right on about autism. There is a great deal of help out there. It might take a lot of work to identify the best sources, but it's do-able.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Dealing with the health issues of any family member is stressful and it's worse when the diagnosis is lifelong but some people get genuine pleasure out of being pitiful. Instead of appreciating what can be done, they revel in all the things they believe cannot be done and how terrible that is in this day and age.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Dealing with the health issues of any family member is stressful and it's worse when the diagnosis is lifelong but some people get genuine pleasure out of being pitiful. Instead of appreciating what can be done, they revel in all the things they believe cannot be done and how terrible that is in this day and age.
    And dollars to donuts the kids pick up on this attitude, too.
    OPEACHMENT NOW!!!

Stinger:

noonwitch
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    I read your comments. You're right on about autism. There is a great deal of help out there. It might take a lot of work to identify the best sources, but it's do-able.

The school district is always a good starting place, or a pediatrician/children's hospital.

I would guess that it is more difficult to find services in rural areas than in urban areas. My sister's YWCA after school program has an autistic kid enrolled in a regular classroom-she said he's a little disruptive, but that it can be handled as long as no one makes a big deal out of the kid being autistic. She and her staff believe it's better for him socially to be in this program, since he gets all the special ed he needs in school.

Outside of school and doctors, the most important resource that parents of autistic kids need is a mental health program that has respite care-where the kid can go somewhere for a weekend, with a trusted and licensed family, and give the parents a chance to rest once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    The school district is always a good starting place, or a pediatrician/children's hospital.

I would guess that it is more difficult to find services in rural areas than in urban areas.
    I'm in a rural area and it was relatively easy. The school was phenomenal in helping us and our son. We couldn't have been more pleased.
    OPEACHMENT NOW!!!

Stinger:

I'm in a rural area and it was relatively easy. The school was phenomenal in helping us and our son. We couldn't have been more pleased.
    That's because of the can-do attitude of rural people in general.

This pissed me off:

I think that your response was a good one and appropriate. The author of that article has fallen into the victim mode and is expecting someone to come along and solve their problems. They may be at their wits end but, as you described, it can be done.

However, in the mid-90's I read of some cases wrt special needs children where local caseworkers would convince the parents that their only hope to obtain the proper care for their children was for them to voluntarily relinquish the custody of their children to the state. As a ward of the state, their child would qualify for all of the help that they need. When this did occur, the parents would soon find themselves totally shut out of their child's life and denied visitation of any kind. The state would argue to the family court judge that since the parent voluntarily gave up custody of the child, they were unloving and bad parents. Of course, the local social services office was getting a gravy train of funding for these children on multiple levels. The parents were scammed out of their child.

If I remember correctly, this occurred in a few isolated areas but, went on as long as the local court could keep it gagged. However, when it did get out, due to justified outrage, it was stopped and I haven't heard of any cases like this especially wrt autistic children. These days, due to the influences of recent republican majorities, the local social services offices are more likely to provide help to such families as opposed to destroy them for their own gain. The recent Democrat majority has yet to reverse this trend.