Thread: Fat Princess Game Riles Fat Feminists. Fatness Implosion Alert.

1. #1 Fat Princess Game Riles Fat Feminists. Fatness Implosion Alert. 
    Feminists cry foul over Fat Princess
    Does Sony's cartoony castle game cross the line?

By Ben Silverman
    ADVERTISEMENT

She's plump, powerful and ready to cause more controversy than "SuperSize Me."

She's Fat Princess, the star of Sony's upcoming video game of the same name. Debuting at last week's E3 expo, the colorful Fat Princess is a capture-the-flag game with a twist: you can thwart capture attempts by locking the once-thin princess in a dungeon and stuffing her full of cake, thereby increasing her girth and making her harder for your enemies to haul back to home base.

According to popular gaming blog Joystiq, two feminist gaming sites have already voiced their displeasure with the weighty issue.

Feminist Gamer's "Mighty Ponygirl" rings in diplomatically, suggesting a new way to play the game altogether.

"Instead of running out into the forest to find cake to fatten up the princess with, why not go out and find gold (which is a lot heavier than cake) to stuff into a treasure chest. The more gold in the chest, the heavier it would be, and the harder it would be to carry," she said, before adding, "Oh, but that's not as "cute" as cake and fat chicks. Right."

Over at Shakesville, however, writer Melissa McEwan cuts to the chase, telling Sony she's "positively thrilled to see such unyielding dedication to creating a new generation of fat-hating, heteronormative ---holes."

Sony has yet to issue an official response, although Joystiq did receive a particularly informative update from James Green, Fat Princess' lead art director, who clued gamers in on the origins of the game:

"Does it make it better or worse that the concept artist (who designed the look, characters, everything) is a girl?"
    I must have this. I normally stick with first person shooters and card games or Mah Jong but I need this game.

Fat!

Shannon will not be pleased.

noonwitch
    Melissa McEwan needs to watch "Hairspray" and relax a little.

I wasn't fat as a kid, although my mom thought I was and convinced me that I was. A game called "Fat Princess" would never have damaged my self esteem as much as my mom putting me on a diet when I was in elementary school. I won't even get into the way she would humiliate me at the store when I was trying on clothes, other than to mention that it stopped when I was in college when we brought my roommate along, who resembles Queen Latifah in both looks and attitude, and she asked my mom "do you humiliate your daughter everytime you go shopping together?".

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    According to popular gaming blog Joystiq, two feminist gaming sites have already voiced their displeasure with the weighty issue.
    Feminist gaming sites? Seriously?
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Goldwater
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    What's their most popular game? How to nut a man?;)
    Say what ya mean and get to the point quick....I don't have the attention span to listen to bullshit...