Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 My Computer woes... 
    There doesn't seem to be a whiny thread anymore, so I am going to whine here. Want to hear a long and sad story about my toubles with computers? No? Too bad.

Back during the other CU, I posted about my computer messing up. That was just the start of it.

My computer gets its mother board fried. My brother gave me his old computer. Over 1000 viruses on it caused it to crash. So I order a new computer. Netzero screwed somehow and I had to cancel with them. I got the new computer. No internet. I get a new connection with ATT. The DAY BEFORE it was about to be activated this new computer breaks down. Well, it wasn't "new," which is my problem. That tells you not to order cheap computers off of eBay. So I cancelled ATT. Now finally I have a NEW computer and Road Runner internet. This all took place in a 9 month period.

Lets just hope nothing goes wrong now...

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyne View Post
    There doesn't seem to be a whiny thread anymore, so I am going to whine here. Want to hear a long and sad story about my toubles with computers? No? Too bad.

Back during the other CU, I posted about my computer messing up. That was just the start of it.

My computer gets its mother board fried. My brother gave me his old computer. Over 1000 viruses on it caused it to crash. So I order a new computer. Netzero screwed somehow and I had to cancel with them. I got the new computer. No internet. I get a new connection with ATT. The DAY BEFORE it was about to be activated this new computer breaks down. Well, it wasn't "new," which is my problem. That tells you not to order cheap computers off of eBay. So I cancelled ATT. Now finally I have a NEW computer and Road Runner internet. This all took place in a 9 month period.

Put up a shrine to the great god of Megabits and light some candles !

Patent Member
    My computer gets its mother board fried.
    You should have just replaced the motherboard.

Of course, not having internet access I suppose that would have been a difficult question to ask.

Oh well, glad to hear everything is back and working!

I have road runner but free AOL. several mons back modem stopped working. TWC say ethernet bad in PC. HP tech support agrees. mothereferboard bad !!!! pack up send to service. 8 days get it back. ethernet problem fixed but processor cooling runs a high speed. restart everything fine. few days later power to home goes off. when back on fan runs again. WTF??? HP say box up send back. ^^^%%$# but I noticed the time in systray was off by hours. check clock settings default back to year 2000!!!! aha......
    Q what backs up clock during power failue????
    A back up or cmos battery. they forgot to put one in. everything so far cool. sh** happens????
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots

Build your own. It's not hard, you get the parts you want and with tech support being crap at most vendors, there's no upside to buying "their" box.
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

Patent Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlmostThere View Post
    Build your own. It's not hard, you get the parts you want and with tech support being crap at most vendors, there's no upside to buying "their" box.
    Except Vista costs $200, and I recently bought a new computer for $400.

There's no way I could have put a decent system together for $200.

Now my old scratch built computer is doing service as a Linux server tho. :D

My wife was less than enthusiastic about that.

Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post
    Except Vista costs $200, and I recently bought a new computer for $400.

There's no way I could have put a decent system together for $200.

Now my old scratch built computer is doing service as a Linux server tho. :D

My wife was less than enthusiastic about that.
    I buy almost all my parts at Newegg. They are the best. They have Vista Home for $109 if you buy with a wink and nod. Personally, I'm not a fan of Vista. One thing that's not in dispute is that Vista requires a pretty meaty machine. I know that MS recommends 1 gig of ram at a minimum, but I hear you'd better have 2 gig if you want to get out of Low.

$400 would buy a decent motherboard, an OEM version of Vista (wink and nod time), a couple 1 gig sticks of ram and an Anti-Virus program for your brother. 1000 viruses on a hard drive would be irrelevant if you were wiping and rebuilding your hard drive.

As crappy as tech support has gotten I just wonder how good can the manufacturing process be at most vendors. There was a time I swore by Dell's tech support. Granted, that was years ago. Today, they suck as much as anyone else.

If you go to Crucial's web site, you plug in your motherboard's model and you get a selection of memory that they guarantee will work with your board. Crucial actually usually beats Newegg on memory prices. Getting the right memory for your motherboard is about the toughest part and Crucial makes that easy.

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Put up a shrine to the great god of Megabits and light some candles !
    The first Pentium I ever bought was the 133. That was so many years ago, I can't even remember when it was. At any rate, I had that box until about a year ago. It hadn't been powered up in years but over the years I've needed a place to store my dust collection and the 133 was just the computer to do it. :D

Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post
    You should have just replaced the motherboard.

Of course, not having internet access I suppose that would have been a difficult question to ask.

Oh well, glad to hear everything is back and working!
    I would have. I shopped around. The cheapest motherboard (since I had to use a gateway one) was $250 and the cheapest labor was $250, so I thought I might as well just by a brand new one since that one wasn't that great anyway.

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    1. My computer gets its mother board fried.

2. My brother gave me his old computer. Over 1000 viruses on it caused it to crash.

3. So I order a new computer. Netzero screwed somehow and I had to cancel with them. I got the new computer. No internet. I get a new connection with ATT. The DAY BEFORE it was about to be activated this new computer breaks down. Well, it wasn't "new," which is my problem. That tells you not to order cheap computers off of eBay. So I cancelled ATT. Now finally I have a NEW computer and Road Runner internet. This all took place in a 9 month period.

1. Oh, been there, more then done that! Grand kill record is 2 mother boards, two power packs, 5 HDDs and one wireless Internet card.

2. Just fixed the computer of my boss for him, he and his girlfriend are completely lacking when it comes to knowing any thing about computers. His grand total for viruses was 15,000 (no typo) His anti virus software was out of date by 3 years and had never been used. I ultimately had to remove his HDD and install it into my PC and do a full formate of it to get rid of them all. Then reinstall all of the original software so it was basically the way it was the day the bought it. Afterwards the PC ran about 3 times faster then it was before.

3. Depending on what you do with your PC, often times if all you do is Internet cruising, no major downloading, an older PC can handle the job just nice. Your brother PC would have worked perfectly. If its running a bit slow, and you have installed a lot of memory (memory is cheap any more), you can ether do a full reinstall of the system software from the restore disk and it will be like new. Gets rid of all the crap that gets installed over the years. Or if you don't have the reinstall disk, you can walk into BestBuy with it and for $30 they will do a system optimization of it and remove the stuff that is slowing it down.

Netzero is garbage, look for some thing else. You get this when you have almost no $ to spend. If you have a phone line in the house, talk to them, they almost always offer some form of Internet service that is reasonable. I have Quest, they charge $20 a month for high speed DSL Broadband.