Thread: Bible Possibly Written Centuries Earlier, Text Suggests

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1 Bible Possibly Written Centuries Earlier, Text Suggests 
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,172
    Interesting story

    Scientists have discovered the earliest known Hebrew writing - an inscription dating from the 10th century B.C., during the period of King David's reign.
    The breakthrough could mean that portions of the Bible were written centuries earlier than previously thought. (The Bible's Old Testament is thought to have been first written down in an ancient form of Hebrew.)
    Until now, many scholars have held that the Hebrew Bible originated in the 6th century B.C., because Hebrew writing was thought to stretch back no further. But the newly deciphered Hebrew text is about four centuries older, scientists announced this month.
    "It indicates that the Kingdom of Israel already existed in the 10th century BCE and that at least some of the biblical texts were written hundreds of years before the dates presented in current research," said Gershon Galil, a professor of Biblical Studies at the University of Haifa in Israel, who deciphered the ancient text.
    BCE stands for "before common era," and is equivalent to B.C., or before Christ.
    The writing was discovered more than a year ago on a pottery shard dug up during excavations at Khirbet Qeiyafa, near Israel's Elah valley. The excavations were carried out by archaeologist Yosef Garfinkel of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. At first, scientists could not tell if the writing was Hebrew or some other local language.
    Finally, Galil was able to decipher the text. He identified words particular to the Hebrew language and content specific to Hebrew culture to prove that the writing was, in fact, Hebrew.

    The whole story is here

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Zoomie djones520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    10,049
    Neat.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Posts
    13,581
    Interesting.

    Interesting how much of the OT deals with the poor and the stranger and the widow, etc.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Resident Grandpa marv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Shell Knob, MO
    Posts
    2,936
    As an atheist, I prefer history, so I do my best to avoid religous threads. But FWIW, the Torah was written about 1800 BC.
    http://allenbwest.com/
    http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg
    Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

    THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Zoomie djones520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    10,049
    Quote Originally Posted by marv View Post
    As an atheist, I prefer history, so I do my best to avoid religous threads. But FWIW, the Torah was written about 1800 BC.
    Where do you get that number from? This dates it around 1000BCE.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member enslaved1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kingman, Arizona, United States
    Posts
    1,221
    I've got one book (still not sure if I agree with it or not) that puts forth a theory that Genesis was a collection of books actually written by Adam and the other people of the time and passed down over the centuries to Moses, who collected them into Genesis. Haven't read it for a while to give more details, and it is a stretch, but an interesting theory nevertheless.
    Romans 6:18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

    Differences between Obama and God: God's plan to save us is actually written down for people to read. Rush Limbaugh.

    My blog: How Things Look From Here Politics, religion, random stuff, now on Wednesdays!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    Interesting.

    Interesting how much of the OT deals with the poor and the stranger and the widow, etc.
    The OT is a blueprint for how to have an effective and civil society.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,800
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    The OT is a blueprint for how to have an effective and civil society.
    Yes. It truly is.

    Exodus 21:15-17 (Hit your parents, kidnap someone, or even swear at your parents, and you must die)

    ''Anyone who attacks his father or his mother must be put to death. Anyone who kidnaps another and either sells him or still has him when he is caught must be put to death. Anyone who curses his father or mother must be put to death.''

    Exodus 21:23-25 (Basic revenge mentality outlined)

    ''But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise''

    Exodus 22:18-20 (The death penalty for bestiality (which should be treated through counselling rather than death), and the victimless crimes of sorcery and worshipping other gods)

    ''Do not allow a sorceress to live. Anyone who has sexual relations with an animal must be put to death. Whoever sacrifices to any god other than the LORD must be destroyed.''

    Exodus 31:15 (Commit the victimless crime of working on Sunday and you must die)

    ''For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day must be put to death.''

    Leviticus 20:9 (And people wonder why parents were such harsh disciplinarians back in the puritan "Good Old Days" of strong religion).

    ''If anyone curses his father or mother, he must be put to death.''

    Leviticus 20:10 (Kill all adulterers. It's bad to cheat on your spouse, but is it really so bad that it deserves the death penalty?)

    ''If a man commits adultery with another man's wife--with the wife of his neighbor--both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death.''

    Leviticus 20:27 (I'm not a big fan of those tarot-card readers and psychic hot-lines myself, but the death penalty is a bit severe, don't you think?)

    ''A man or woman who is a medium or spiritist among you must be put to death.''

    Civil society, indeed.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    41,089
    Quote Originally Posted by CaughtintheMiddle1990 View Post
    Yes. It truly is.

    Exodus 21:15-17 (Hit your parents, kidnap someone, or even swear at your parents, and you must die)

    ''Anyone who attacks his father or his mother must be put to death. Anyone who kidnaps another and either sells him or still has him when he is caught must be put to death. Anyone who curses his father or mother must be put to death.''

    Exodus 21:23-25 (Basic revenge mentality outlined)

    ''But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise''

    Exodus 22:18-20 (The death penalty for bestiality (which should be treated through counselling rather than death), and the victimless crimes of sorcery and worshipping other gods)

    ''Do not allow a sorceress to live. Anyone who has sexual relations with an animal must be put to death. Whoever sacrifices to any god other than the LORD must be destroyed.''

    Exodus 31:15 (Commit the victimless crime of working on Sunday and you must die)

    ''For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day must be put to death.''

    Leviticus 20:9 (And people wonder why parents were such harsh disciplinarians back in the puritan "Good Old Days" of strong religion).

    ''If anyone curses his father or mother, he must be put to death.''

    Leviticus 20:10 (Kill all adulterers. It's bad to cheat on your spouse, but is it really so bad that it deserves the death penalty?)

    ''If a man commits adultery with another man's wife--with the wife of his neighbor--both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death.''

    Leviticus 20:27 (I'm not a big fan of those tarot-card readers and psychic hot-lines myself, but the death penalty is a bit severe, don't you think?)

    ''A man or woman who is a medium or spiritist among you must be put to death.''

    Civil society, indeed.
    I'm sure your parents considered execution often!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,800
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    The OT is a blueprint for how to have an effective and civil society.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I'm sure your parents considered execution often!
    You post a reply that, while being witty, lacks any substance. Not that I expected much more, though.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •