Thread: Thursday and those that didn't quite make it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Thursday and those that didn't quite make it 
    It a bit overcast this morning, but the real trouble arrives this afternoon. Severe weather from the drive home from work (great... just great).

TOTD: What band or musican did you really think was going to make it big and then they just never reached the success that you thought the would achieve. For me it was the group Live. Their album, 'Throwing Copper', had the songs 'Lighting Crashes' and 'I Alone'. After that they never released anything that was up to the standards of that album.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

TOTD: What defines big? Are you talking bands that do the VFW hall venues? Or bands that pick up major lables, but just never reach Metallica level of fame?

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    TOTD: What defines big? Are you talking bands that do the VFW hall venues? Or bands that pick up major labels, but just never reach Metallica level of fame?
    I leave it up to the poster to define his or her own criteria. In the case that I cited Live became a major label band with what I considered a CD full of quality music. Although they stayed a major label band, they never really released music as good as 'Throwing Copper'. I compared them to Led Zeppelin who's music and sound was always evolving for the better.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

*shrugs* I can name bands who I think made it bigger then they had any right to, but the other way around probably not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    I leave it up to the poster to define his or her own criteria. In the case that I cited Live became a major label band with what I considered a CD full of quality music. Although they stayed a major label band, they never really released music as good as 'Throwing Copper'. I compared them to Led Zeppelin who's music and sound was always evolving for the better.
    I always liked Lightning Crashes, but really grew tired of it playing every third song on Z Rock back in the day.

Silverchair was another that never lived up to expectations.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

And they were only 15.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAvMYODLFEg
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Today will be about the same as yesterday which is to say cold and kind of dreary.

TOTD: I'd have a hard time naming a band that did make it big. :p

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Only 3 out of 20 have made it to the office...another icy morning.

Good topic, FlaGator. I'm gonna have to mull this one over. I'm usually fine when bands that I like don't get too famous.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    I always liked Lightning Crashes, but really grew tired of it playing every third song on Z Rock back in the day.

Silverchair was another that never lived up to expectations.
    Yes. Silverchair was another. They were all around 15 or 16 years old when they made that CD, Frog Stomp.

C. S. Lewis

Our Lady Peace: First album was great, several hit singles... then poof! Where'd they go?

The Inverse TOTD: Nickelback... phenomenal success they don't deserve.
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people.
    It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."
    -- John Adams