Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Holy shit, my neighbors are insane Republicans. 
    Another fun "story". Not especially creative, but fun never the less.

link

The Liberal Thinker (100 posts) Wed Jul-30-08 07:25 PM
    Original message
    Holy shit, my neighbors are insane Republicans.
    So I was speaking with my neighbors and after telling me that Rush Limbaugh was right 100% of the time and that he's the smartest man they've ever heard of, they told me these things.

- Barack Obama badmouthed and insulted the United States in his speech in Berlin. (I haven't seen the speech yet, I have to only assume this is not at all true?)
    - Barack Obama is not a citizen of the United States.
    - The Chinese are drilling offshore from Florida.
    - The Israelis should attack Iran with nuclear weapons right after our November elections.
    - We found weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.

Then they pointed out that there seemed to have been no chaos after the Iowa floods, and that New Orleans was a city of sin... hint hint.

I kept on telling them that these things are simply not true... But they yelled and got infuriated, telling me that I was just a puppet of the liberal media and that I should watch FOX news.

Unfortunately, they're such nice old folks, so I don't want to give them a smackdown but...geez, this is what we're up against, people.

So my question, what is the craziest thing you've ever heard from a Republican?
    FiveGoodMen (1000+ posts) Wed Jul-30-08 07:29 PM
    Response to Original message
    1. "what is the craziest thing you've ever heard from a Republican?"
    Just a couple of weeks ago, a friend's wife was complaining that the pukes in Congress weren't pukey enough.

Called them RINOs. Not enough fascism for her yet!
    Submariner (1000+ posts) Wed Jul-30-08 07:31 PM
    2. That is the reason the Fairness in Media doctrine needs to make a come back
    Ask your neighbors how they feel about sucking up to a drug addled pedophile like Rush. Poor example of wingnut family values.
    AZDemDist6 (1000+ posts) Wed Jul-30-08 07:35 PM
    3. ...
    As the researchers explained in their report, “The extent of Americans’ misperceptions vary significantly depending on their source of news. Those who receive most of their news from Fox News are more likely than average to have misperceptions. Those who receive most of their news from NPR or PBS are less likely to have misperceptions. These variations cannot simply be explained as a result of differences in the demographic characteristics of each audience, because these variations can also be found when comparing the demographic subgroups of each audience.”

Almost shocking was the extent to which Fox News viewers were mistaken. Those who relied on the conservative network for news, PIPA reported, were “three times more likely than the next nearest network to hold all three misperceptions. In the audience for NPR/PBS, however, there was an overwhelming majority who did not have any of the three misperceptions, and hardly any had all three.”

Looking at the misperceptions one at a time, people were asked, for example, if the U.S. had discovered the alleged stockpiles of WMD in Iraq since the war began. Just 11% of those who relied on newspapers as their “primary news source” incorrectly believed that U.S. forces had made such a discovery. Only slightly more — 17% — of those who relied on NPR and PBS were wrong. Yet 33% of Fox News viewers were wrong, far ahead of those who relied on any other outlet.

Likewise, when people were asked if the U.S. had “clear evidence” that Saddam Hussein was “working closely with al Queda,” similar results were found. Only 16% of NPR and PBS listeners/viewers believed that the U.S. has such evidence, while 67% of Fox News viewers were under that mistaken impression.

Overall, 80 percent of those who relied on Fox News as their primary news source believed at least one of the three misperceptions. Viewers/listeners/readers of other news outlets didn’t even come close to this total.

http://www.thecarpetbaggerreport.com/archives/714.html
    Of course when the "correct answer" is the democrat talking points and/or is based on their "definition" of certain words they will deem Fox viewers ignorant and to have misperceptions.

Really...this "study" or "survey" results are positive for conservatives.
    Tace (1000+ posts) Wed Jul-30-08 07:38 PM
    5. Welfare Mom
    Met a guy in Vermont who said he's a Republican because there's a lady in town living in a trailer, with two kids, collecting welfare, screwing a few different guys. No kidding.
    Tandalayo_Scheisskopf (1000+ posts) Wed Jul-30-08 07:40 PM
    Response to Reply #5
    6. Wheee!!!
    You just cannot beat a 'neck like that.
    tanyev (1000+ posts) Wed Jul-30-08 07:42 PM
    7. Last Sunday, at Starbucks, one of the kids working there noticed my
    Bush Countdown Clock hanging on my purse. He asked me what it was and I showed him.

He said, "You're counting down the days?" I said, "Yep, only 177 days left," with a big smile on my face.

He said, "You don't like George Bush? He's done a lot of great things." That startled me--given his age and kind of sweetly goofy demeanor I assumed he would be high-fiving me.

I blinked a couple times and finally asked, "Such as?"

He replied, "Well, I can't really talk about it at work," which I totally respect, so I just said, "I can't think of a single one," followed with one of these gestures.

I know that most people in this area voted for Bush and expect that they will vote for McCain, but it was such a shock to hear someone still willing to say that GWB has done a lot of great things.
    Straight Shooter (1000+ posts) Wed Jul-30-08 10:48 PM
    12. Craziest thing I've ever heard from a Republican: "Thank God for george bush!"
    I certainly don't agree with everything President Bush has done but I do have to agree with the "Thank God for george bush!" thing. All I have to do is think of Kerry and I think of that sentiment.

Obama is a Muslim. :D

Wait, Rush is a pedo? Sounds like dimb-bulb dems are listening to the same National Inquirer that "outed" John "The Hair" Edwards' mistress. What do I keep saying? Far Lefties and Far Righties are the same brand of kook.

Seriously, the BEST arguement these people can come up with is "Bush Sucks!"? Talk about cliche city. Bush hasn't been a good president, everyone knows that. You know who else was a bad prez? Clinton. Good ol' sexual predator, anti-constitutional Slick Willie. Funny how empty brainers out there love to give one of the worst presidents in American History a free pass. At least Bush had family values and conviction. He was wrong on a lot, but he's a better man then Bill ever could've dreamed.

And run Conservatives against the hardcore Progressives of the 20th century, our side sounds like the only sane voice in the world. When will people wake up to the bias and see what we're really all about? Small government, low taxes, maximum personal freedom and liberty. The government was supposed to fill a "Night Watchman" role, not a big bloated mechanism like the Republicrats desire.

P.S. Vote Bob Barr in '08.

P.P.S. The misinformed fool who made the "RINO, not enough Fascism yet?" comment should learn his history. Fascism comes from the Left, not Right. Wouldn't expect a "Learned Elite" to have you know, actually read some real History.
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    - Barack Obama badmouthed and insulted the United States in his speech in Berlin. (I haven't seen the speech yet, I have to only assume this is not at all true?)

I did not notice this but, it would not suprise me. I only saw excerpts

- Barack Obama is not a citizen of the United States.

Certainly did not hear this on Rush.

- The Chinese are drilling offshore from Florida.

True - although they have not actually started drilling, they are setting up shop.

- The Israelis should attack Iran with nuclear weapons right after our November elections.

This is an opinion, so it is not verifiable. I agree however that if Obama is elected, it is far more likely than if McCain is elected.

- We found weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.

We did. We found shells filled with Sarin (binary - which does NOT degrade) and degraded Mustard gas. Not in massive quantities (unless you allow us to count the dual use chemicals stored in the same facilities as the empty warheads), but enough to kill far more people than 9-11.

Then they pointed out that there seemed to have been no chaos after the Iowa floods, and that New Orleans was a city of sin... hint hint.

New Orleans was a victim of liberalism. They were dependent on the government to tell them what to do. When the local govts. failed to take them by the hand and put them on evacuation busses, they were stuck.
    THEN the local govts. failed to provide or PREVENTED aid from reaching those who were still in the city.

Other areas that were actually hit harder than New Orleans are recovering quite well - and so are the citizens hit by the recent floods. What was the difference??? They took care of THEMSELVES - neighbors helping neighbors and did not wait for the government to save them.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marinejcksn View Post
    Wait, Rush is a pedo?
    That was my first thought. WTF?
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    That was my first thought. WTF?
    Whatever made up shit that suits their ideology is all they need.

You know, I live in a pretty conservative area. I yak it up with the neighbors all the time. I literally don't remember the last time a political issue came up in casual conversation unless it had to do with ultra-local issues like taxes or that council member who's sleeping her way through the rec centers. It just doesn't come up.

Goldwater
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I literally don't remember the last time a political issue came up in casual conversation unless it had to do with ultra-local issues like taxes or that council member who's sleeping her way through the rec centers. It just doesn't come up.
    Damn! And I was being so careful...

Quote Originally Posted by Goldwater View Post
    Damn! And I was being so careful...
    It's not that big of a town. :p

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    You know, I live in a pretty conservative area. I yak it up with the neighbors all the time. I literally don't remember the last time a political issue came up in casual conversation unless it had to do with ultra-local issues like taxes or that council member who's sleeping her way through the rec centers. It just doesn't come up.
    I'm pretty certain that the DUer is talking about the neighbors that live in his head. They hold all kinds of discussions with him that don't happen in that place the rest of us call "the real word".
    Last edited by FlaGator; 07-31-2008 at 06:39 PM.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis