Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Tim Tebow's Super Bowl Commercial 

Wednesday, 27 January 2010 14:07

The big Tebow news has not been his struggles taking snaps from center at Senior Bowl practice or even the shirtless pic of Tebow at the Senior Bowl weigh-in featured on TMZ's website (why?), but rather a commercial scheduled to air during the Super Bowl that has the 2007 Heisman winner speaking on behalf of Focus on the Family, a pro-life Christian group.

Oh, boy.

The issue has, needless to say, sparked major controversy.

Tebow will appear in the commercial with his mother Pam. The two will reportedly tell the story of Mrs. Tebow's decision to ignore her doctors' advice when they recommended she have an abortion during her difficult pregnancy with Tim.

How does Tebow feel about the controversy? "I know some people won't agree with it," he said, "but I think they can at least respect that I stand up for what I believe, and I'm never shy about that."

He's also quoted as saying, "I don't feel like I'm very preachy about it, but I do stand up for what I believe. Unfortunately, in today's society, not many athletes tend to do that. So I'm just standing for something."

Tebow's stance of "I stand up for what I believe" has not satisfied the many groups lobbying CBS to scratch the Super Bowl ad.

Dozens of women's advocacy groups and other liberal organizations have written a letter to CBS urging them "to immediately cancel this ad and refuse any other advertisement promoting Focus on the Family's agenda."

The letter also says, "By offering one of the most coveted advertising spots of the year to an anti-equality, anti-choice, homophobic organization, CBS is aligning itself with a political stance that will damage its reputation, alienate viewers, and discourage consumers from supporting its shows and advertisers."

http://www.xtrapointfootball.com/201...ommercial.html
    Last edited by ralph wiggum; 01-27-2010 at 05:04 PM. Reason: To conform with Breaking News rules
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Once again the left goes out of it's way to demonstrated exactly how tolerant they are by demanding that anything that does not agree with their world view be silenced!
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Good for him! :D
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

4. #4 CBS Stands Behind Acceptance Of Focus On Family Spot 
    I guess this is to be expected from our liberal friends

CBS Tuesday (Jan. 26) stood behind its decision to take a Super Bowl ad from Focus on the Family that has drawn fire from reproductive choice organizations. The network said it does not reject advocacy ads out of hand, and added that it would consider "responsibly produced ads from all groups" for the "few" remaining spots in the broadcast.

"We have for some time moderated our approach to advocacy submissions after it became apparent that our stance did not reflect public sentiment or industry norms on the issue," CBS said in an e-mailed statement Tuesday. "In fact, most media outlets have accepted advocacy ads for some time. At CBS, our standards and practices process continues to adhere to a process that ensures all ads -- on all sides of an issue -- are appropriate for air.

"We will continue to consider responsibly produced ads from all groups for the few remaining spots in Super Bowl XLIV," the network said.

That came in response to the announcement that the Women's Media Center, National Organization For Women and more than two dozen other groups have launched a campaign to pressure CBS into pulling a Super Bowl "pro-life" ad bought by Focus on the Family.

That campaign includes a letter it delivered to CBS today, according to a spokeswoman, and e-mails its members are sending today to CBS, the NFL, and advertisers in the game.

The letter calls on CBS to reject what the groups call an anti-choice ad that advances Focus on the Family's Agenda.

They argue that CBS has rejected advocacy ads in the past, including from PETA, MoveOn.org and the United Church of Christ.

The spot in question is expected to feature Florida Gators quarterback and Heisman Trophy winner Tim Tebow and his mother talking about how she refused to have an abortion after she was advised to do so by doctors.
    Whole Story is Here

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Power CUer
    Never heard of this guy in my life. Don't care about the commercial. Never watch the Super Bowl.

Okay, I watched it last year because the Steelers were in it and my husband is from Pittburgh. I have not heard that they are in it this year, so if they're not, we won't be watching it.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003;231570[B
    ]Never heard of this guy in my life. Don't care about the commercial. Never watch the Super Bowl.[/B]

Okay, I watched it last year because the Steelers were in it and my husband is from Pittburgh. I have not heard that they are in it this year, so if they're not, we won't be watching it.
    Then what is the point in replying?

+1

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Good for them!

Focus On The Family is based right here in Colorado Springs so I've heard a lot about this. Some functional moron was on the radio yesterday claiming that the spot would magically force women with life-threatening pregnancy issues to carry to term regardless of medical advice.

The point of this spot as far as I can determine is that carrying a problem-free baby to term is small potatoes compared to what this mother decided to do. While the average child is unlikely to be either a talented football player or a psychopath, letting them live long enough to find out which is a valid choice.

Tebow's stance of "I stand up for what I believe" has not satisfied the many groups lobbying CBS to scratch the Super Bowl ad.
    Meanwhile, Atheists all over are screaming that they don't believe in anything so they protest people believing in something.
    Islamics protest the freedom to have different morals.
    Quakers are alarmed by the sheer numbers of people having fun,,,.

I don't hear about Christian groups lobbying CBS to can the beer commercials.

I guess by "Hope and Change" these idiots mean Hope to eliminate dissent by Changing the Constitution.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Then what is the point in replying?

+1
    +2

I guess Dummy Mode registered.

If CBS wants to broadcast it, that's up to them.