Thread: 'No Way' Terrorist Trials Will be Held in New York

1. #1 'No Way' Terrorist Trials Will be Held in New York 
    Boehner: 'No Way' Terrorist Trials Will be Held in New York

FOXNews.com

The top Republican in the House is vowing to prevent any trial of terror detainees at Guantanamo Bay from being held in New York City as leading Senate Republicans question Attorney General Eric Holder on the civilian status given to the Christmas Day bombing suspect.

Jan. 21: House Minority Leader John Boehner speaks during a news conference on Capitol Hill. (AP Photo)
    The top Republican in the House is vowing to prevent any trial of terror detainees at Guantanamo Bay from being held in New York City as leading Senate Republicans question Attorney General Eric Holder on the civilian status given to the Christmas Day bombing suspect.

House Minority Leader John Boehner said Wednesday the Obama administration doesn't have the votes to change the law to move detainees to U.S. territory for trial or to spend $500 million to refurbish the Thompson prison in Illinois to host the detainees who would be held there while awaiting trial in New York City.

"There is not going to be a trial in New York, I guarantee it. There is no appetite for the trials in Congress," Boehner, R-Ohio, said.

The leader added that any effort to do so will be used in the midterm election campaign.

"This is a big issue ... and a big issue we will campaign on this year," he added.

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg also said Wednesday that he'd be "very happy" if the administration moved the trials out of lower Manhattan. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said the Sept. 11 suspects should not be tried in civilian court, calling the idea of trying alleged mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed in New York City "stunning."

The Justice Department pushed back, though, defending its ability to "safely and securely" handle such international terrorism cases in Manhattan.

"The Justice Department is confident that it can safely prosecute this case in the Southern District of New York while minimizing disruptions to the community to the greatest extent possible, consistent with security needs," spokesman Dean Boyd said in a statement.

Lawmakers pressured the department on the Sept. 11 trials as the leading Republicans on four Senate committees demanded answers from Holder on why alleged Christmas bomber Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab was given civilian defendant status and a reading of Miranda rights rather than being treated "as an intelligence resource to be thoroughly interrogated in order to obtain potentially life-saving information."
    Let's hold the trial at CTU. Jack can preside. :D

Fox

NeunElfer SuperMod hampshirebrit's Avatar
    KSM should be tried somewhere else, preferably secure, remote and with good WAN and sat capability. There must be hundreds if not thousands of facilities in the continental US that meet these criteria.

NYC is being placed at risk and put in harm's way just to prove a point. I can't believe it took Bloomberg this long to figure that out. That's bullshit. :mad:
    nie vergessen, nie verzeihen.

Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    KSM should be tried somewhere else, preferably secure, remote and with good WAN and sat capability. There must be hundreds if not thousands of facilities in the continental US that meet these criteria.

NYC is being placed at risk and put in harm's way just to prove a point. I can't believe it took Bloomberg this long to figure that out. That's bullshit. :mad:

Timothy McVeigh's trial was held in Denver's federal court. I thought the judge and court did a good job with security and the media. That was before 9-11, though, and McVeigh really didn't have a big network of terrorists behind him, just a somewhat loose affiliation of outcasts and racists, who weren't necessarily supporting his actions.

The underwear bomber will likely be tried in Detroit's federal courthouse, though. Downtown is easy to secure. Buses/traffic can be re-routed, and there aren't trains, other than the People Mover, which runs around downtown on an elevated track.

NYC has already paid a heavy enough cost for 9/11. This stunt means exposing the city to needless risk and unnecessary expense.

I hope the AG backs off on this one.

NYC has already paid a heavy enough cost for 9/11. This stunt means exposing the city to needless risk and unnecessary expense.

I hope the AG backs off on this one.
    Ideally they will go back to a military tribunal at Gitmo - but barring that - I say take the trial to Pelosi's home district.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Ideally they will go back to a military tribunal at Gitmo - but barring that - I say take the trial to Pelosi's home district.
    They'll never do it at Gitmo, when Zero has pledged to shut Gitmo down. That would be too much of a symbolic turn-around for the current administration.

Otherwise, it's the best possible place to have it, by far, if indeed it has to be done, which is debatable. Apparently he'd already agreed to plead guilty to a tribunal.

The whole idea of a federal trial is bullshit. Put him in front of a mil tribunal, find him guilty, sentence him, take him out back and put a bullet in his head, end of fucking story.

They'll never do it at Gitmo, when Zero has pledged to shut Gitmo down. That would be too much of a symbolic turn-around for the current administration.

Otherwise, it's the best possible place to have it, by far, if indeed it has to be done, which is debatable. Apparently he'd already agreed to plead guilty to a tribunal.

The whole idea of a federal trial is bullshit. Put him in front of a mil tribunal, find him guilty, sentence him, take him out back and put a bullet in his head, end of fucking story.
    Yes but that doesn't put Bush and Waterboarding on trial - and everyone with a brain sees that the whole point of putting him on trial in civilian courts is to also put Bush and waterboarding on trial as well.

Yes but that doesn't put Bush and Waterboarding on trial - and everyone with a brain sees that the whole point of putting him on trial in civilian courts is to also put Bush and waterboarding on trial as well.
    This 253 pants bloke attack was just a probe, one of many. If any thing worse kicks off and succeeds this year, I would not give much for the political future of any pol who tries to put Bush in the dock now, when Bush did more than anyone to ensure nothing bad has happened since 9/11.

This 253 pants bloke attack was just a probe, one of many. If any thing worse kicks off and succeeds this year, I would not give much for the political future of any pol who tries to put Bush in the dock now, when Bush did more than anyone to ensure nothing bad has happened since 9/11.
    The left doesn't care - they will just blame Bush for any attack that happens now and say it was because Bush waterboarded. You cannot expect rationality out of the left.

The left doesn't care - they will just blame Bush for any attack that happens now and say it was because Bush waterboarded. You cannot expect rationality out of the left.
    I'm sure you're right there. I'm just hoping that most normal people will not buy it. Janet Napolitano saying "the system worked" didn't do it for most of the world...no one bought that.

How come she's still in office? It's an amazement to me. At this rate, I'm taking the boat to NYC this year. I'm not keen on flying.