1. #1 Texas governor: Link diplomas and driver's licenses 
    Texas governor: Link diplomas and driver's licenses

Jan. 27, 2010, 6:39PM

HOUSTON — Gov. Rick Perry proposes that Texas high school-aged students must hit the books if they want to legally hit the road.

At a news conference in Houston on Wednesday, Perry said students should have to prove that they’re enrolled in school and working toward a diploma or GED if they want to get and keep a driver’s license.

Perry says he’ll ask the Texas Education Agency and the Texas Department of Public Safety to determine what’s needed to implement such a program. If legislation is needed, Perry says he’ll work with lawmakers to get it passed.

Perry announced his plan during a campaign stop. He is vying for the GOP gubernatorial nomination in the March 2 primary against U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison and Republican activist Debra Medina.

Hutchison’s campaign dismissed the plan as “typical election-year lip service.”
    Well, this seems completely pointless.

Chron

I can see an incentive, but it does seem like lip service...
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

I'd go further. You want to live on the taxpayer's titty? Get a diploma! "There ain't no free lunch.":mad:
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    I'd go further. You want to live on the taxpayer's titty? Get a diploma! "There ain't no free lunch.":mad:
    Why? 99% of high school dropouts are technical morons. Do we really need more morons with an official piece of paper declaring them high school graduates?

This idea would make more sense if the kid had to prove continuous employment for at least 4 months every year. I can see why a roofer needs a car to get to work.

It really needs to be the parents or guardian who decides whether teenagers are given a license. It's the ultimate carrot stick to hold over their heads and keep them in line.

My parents let me drive at 16-if I had skipped school, or my grades had slipped, I would have lost that privilege. If I dropped out of school, I would have had to find a new place to live.