Thread: Fabulous Friday

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Fabulous Friday 
    Power CUer
    Cold in the DC area today, and may snow tonight.

TOTD: Dave Ramsey has a clunky tag line which says "Live like no one else, so someday you can LIVE like no one ELSE!" This means scrimp and save and pay off debt today, so someday you'll be able to live well without monetary cares.

Which side of that phrase are you on? We still have to finish paying off the house, which will take just a few more years, but other than that we are firmly in part 2 of LIVING like no one ELSE. :)
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

We're hoping our tax return gets here today, and with that we'll be freeing up 5 credit cards worth of debt. I've also got my version of a 401k growing well. Despite the economic troubles of the last couple years, it's still posting a profit, and should be doing so for the next 20-30 years. I've also got 100% of all my bonuses signed over to it.

I'm definitely in the school of paying stuff off now and saving up for later. Between my retiring with my AF pension at 37, the money growing in my TSP, and whatever career I start up after the AF, I think we'll be sitting pretty good when I do decide to retire.

Power CUer
    By "tax return" do you mean "tax refund"? We don't even have all the paperwork in yet to take to the accountant. I hope we can drop all of that stuff off before we leave for Paris, so he can work on it while we're gone.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    By "tax return" do you mean "tax refund"? We don't even have all the paperwork in yet to take to the accountant. I hope we can drop all of that stuff off before we leave for Paris, so he can work on it while we're gone.
    Yeah, a refund. Got my W2 last week. Making $27,000 taxable income with 2 dependants, it doesn't really require a lot of work.

Power CUer
    That's about what my husband was making when we got married. Good thing I was able to accurately estimate what his ROI would be someday. :D

Thats just taxable income. I really make something like the equivalent of $55,000 a year between housing allowances, medical care, etc...

Still a far cry from what I could be making in the civilian sector.

Banned
    Low 60's and rain in the forecast.

TOTD: I retired 5 years ago. My house is paid off and have no debt.... a great feeling.

The January Thaw finally froze over again last night. Wind Chills in the negs.

TOTD: Bought my first home this year. Looking forward to that $8 Grand. Going to pay back the family for the small loan they gave me to help with the downpayment... Pay off my god-awful Capital One card with 23% interest. Pay down my other Card to a manageable balance... and then go buy myself a nice 46" Flat Screen TV. I'm just waiting for one more Tax Document to come in the mail before I file. w00t!
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people.
    It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."
    -- John Adams

We'll get into the high 30s today which is better than it has been. My paperwhites are starting to bloom inside the house.

TOTD: We have a few more years on the house but no other debt. I have some infrastructure plans for the garden this year but we'll cash all that out. I like being close to debt-free and I like being thrifty. It helps a lot that I'm married to a man who has zero interest in consumer debt accumulation and who is happy to eat well prepared leftovers. We have never, ever had a heated discussion, let alone a fight, about money.

Single digit temps with sunny skies. It's cold.

TOTD: I have a pension, and because I started at my job at the age of 22, I can retire and draw on my pension in 10 years. I will still have a house payment, though. I am planning to retire from this job and find something less stressful and more enjoyable, because I will be supplementing my pension at that point. I also have some banked leave time ( a pay cut resolution) I've never used that will be converted to $$ and put in a 401k for me when I retire. I also will inherit some money from my dad, but I'd rather have him around than his money. My mom will inherit a lot of money from Grandpa, but again, I'd rather have him around, especially as he's got a good chance of making it to 100 (he's going to be 97 this summer).