Thread: Whats the weirdest thing you've seen someone do on the internet?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Whats the weirdest thing you've seen someone do on the internet? 
    The interwebs, a place that allows the meek act like tough guys, and DUmmies act smart. We all know that weird shit happens on the internet. People do strange things, sometimes to be funny, sometimes to hurt. So whats the "weirdest" thing you've seen someone do?

Mine was a number of years back when I was a moderator on the Military.com discussion forums. I had to lock a thread for some reason, don't remember the particulars, but the thread originator really didn't take kindly to it. He seemed to think it was some huge elaborate plot I was putting into place to "censor his freedom of speech". The thought was laughable, but he was convinced of it.

Anyways, after raising a HUGE stink about it, he just dissapeared. No one had heard word of him for days. Then all of a sudden a post is made with his account. His daughter logged on, telling us that he had a heart attack and died. The reason behind it? He was so angry at me, it consumed his every waking moment, and caused so much stress his heart basically gave out. Some were skeptical and even called her to verify the whole story. After a few people had talked to her, it seemed like it had actually happened.

So in a nutshell, I killed him.

Well, I didn't know what to think of it. I thought the idea absolutely absurd, how could anyone let such a simple thing as a single locked thread kill them? It really started to get to me as the days went by. Hell, no matter how absurd the idea might have sounded, a man was still dead, and I was the one who set the wheels in motion.

But, it turns out he wasn't dead. The guy had faked his own death to try to screw with my head. The sick bastard actually somehow talked his daughter into going along with this, but I guess eventually gave in and told someone the truth about the whole matter. I was beyond pissed. How sick in the head would you have to be to do something like that? I left Mil.com not to long after that, so I'm not sure if anything else ever came from the whole thing.

The guy supposedly died again a couple of years ago, he was pretty old. I don't know if anyone found out if it was the truth or not, but either way it doesn't affect me this time.

So anyone else got crazy stories like that?

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    The interwebs, a place that allows the meek act like tough guys, and DUmmies act smart. We all know that weird shit happens on the internet. People do strange things, sometimes to be funny, sometimes to hurt. So whats the "weirdest" thing you've seen someone do?

Mine was a number of years back when I was a moderator on the Military.com discussion forums. I had to lock a thread for some reason, don't remember the particulars, but the thread originator really didn't take kindly to it. He seemed to think it was some huge elaborate plot I was putting into place to "censor his freedom of speech". The thought was laughable, but he was convinced of it.

Anyways, after raising a HUGE stink about it, he just dissapeared. No one had heard word of him for days. Then all of a sudden a post is made with his account. His daughter logged on, telling us that he had a heart attack and died. The reason behind it? He was so angry at me, it consumed his every waking moment, and caused so much stress his heart basically gave out. Some were skeptical and even called her to verify the whole story. After a few people had talked to her, it seemed like it had actually happened.

So in a nutshell, I killed him.

Well, I didn't know what to think of it. I thought the idea absolutely absurd, how could anyone let such a simple thing as a single locked thread kill them? It really started to get to me as the days went by. Hell, no matter how absurd the idea might have sounded, a man was still dead, and I was the one who set the wheels in motion.

But, it turns out he wasn't dead. The guy had faked his own death to try to screw with my head. The sick bastard actually somehow talked his daughter into going along with this, but I guess eventually gave in and told someone the truth about the whole matter. I was beyond pissed. How sick in the head would you have to be to do something like that? I left Mil.com not to long after that, so I'm not sure if anything else ever came from the whole thing.

The guy supposedly died again a couple of years ago, he was pretty old. I don't know if anyone found out if it was the truth or not, but either way it doesn't affect me this time.

So anyone else got crazy stories like that?
    So you have a history of it !

I'm very, very careful about my Internet presence so I don't have any personal horror stories. The worst thing I've seen is the destruction of marriages because of Internet hook-ups. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I'm very, very careful about my Internet presence so I don't have any personal horror stories. The worst thing I've seen is the destruction of marriages because of Internet hook-ups. :(
    Who knows.People on the net are the same cross section of Society that fit into Suicide,High Risk Rage or Mental Breakdowns.

There have been cases of people tracing an antagonist on the web and traveling across the country to attack them with weapons or in one case even burning their homes to the ground.

There is software available that allows one to trace an adversary to a given ISP,Town,Street Address and even what floor in an apartment building they live in and with Google earth one can even do an overhead survey of the home on line!

'So Be Very Careful with me',LOL !

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Who knows.People on the net are the same cross section of Society that fit into Suicide,High Risk Rage or Mental Breakdowns.

There have been cases of people tracing an antagonist on the web and traveling across the country to attack them with weapons or in one case even burning their homes to the ground.

There is software available that allows one to trace an adversary to a given ISP,Town,Street Address and even what floor in an apartment building they live in and with Google earth one can even do an overhead survey of the home on line!

'So Be Very Careful with me',LOL !
    Ask BC to show you what your house looks like one day.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Ask BC to show you what your house looks like one day.
    I've a nice view of yours !

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Those are sad. I've heard of that happening here a couple times in the past.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

I've had someone from an internet forum show up at my door. Needless to say I don't give out any identifiable information any more.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    I've had someone from an internet forum show up at my door. Needless to say I don't give out any identifiable information any more.
    Did ya whup em ?

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Did ya whup em ?
    I wasn't home. The wife was terrified - called the cops - he was belligerent got taken off in handcuffs and we have a restraining order on him. If he comes within 50 feet he goes to jail - **IF** I don't kill him first.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.