Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BSR
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I'm very, very careful about my Internet presence so I don't have any personal horror stories. The worst thing I've seen is the destruction of marriages because of Internet hook-ups. :(
    ahhh yes. the RNG-Freeper fiasco. Its a shame because there is a beautiful little girl involved in that mess.
    Last edited by BSR; 01-30-2010 at 09:26 PM.

Sonnabend
    Weirdest I ever knew was on a games forum...back in the day when whiny leftie libbers didn't infest the place.they did later...oh you'd have loved THAT lot, there was an eternal loser whose sole concern was herself...I called her Little Miss Selfish....it fit... and a vicious little troll who claimed to be a famous rock star..living in New Zealand.

Nice threads like "God Fuck America"..oh they were such little charmers......the entire forum was one great big Hate America site.

They chased away their members, destroyed one of the best abandonware teams ever created, created a newbie hostile forum, had another little charmer who said he was a gay unemployed lawyer in Canada...and years later the same little fucker tries to add himself to my Facebook network (and one look at his profile tells me he had lied through his teeth)..I was there for years. Oh the stories I could tell about that sick little lot.

One uneducated moron who kept telling me I was "appealing to authority"...the little fuckwit had never heard of networking comes to mind. Probably a burger flipper these days.

Anyway, in short a member's acct was either hijacked or her identity stolen, and a website put up advertising her death. A year or so later, I did some detective work and got to the truth.

That one was ugly as hell...apparently another forum member had actually met her and fallen in love with her...or that's how the story went..it got....complicated.

Place is gone now and good riddance.
    Last edited by Sonnabend; 01-31-2010 at 03:11 AM.

Boink a cantalope.

"Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post

There is software available that allows one to trace an adversary to a given ISP,Town,Street Address and even what floor in an apartment building they live in and with Google earth one can even do an overhead survey of the home on line!
    I can't imagine any software that would allow someone to trace an IP to the real address of a home user outside of T.V. You can find the ISP a given subnet is allocated to, but finding an address tied to it would require someone inside the ISP who can access client account information, a court order to force the ISP to hand over the info, or planting a trojan of some sort. ISPs probably don't even link the IP address to billing information for residential customers, because the IPs assigned to these customers are dynamic and change constantly. A MAC address is probably what is linked to the account, and those are unroutable, so you wouldn't be able to see that from the far side of an IP connection. Each ISP probably uses it's own billing software and processes, so each ISP has very dissimilar systems for holding and accessing such information which would make automation very difficult.

There are a few ways I could think of to get a physical address of a person just using an IP address, but none of them are easy or automated. For instance one could use an OS flaw to inject a virus or trojan, have that virus report back the MAC address, then try to get the client information for that MAC from the ISP, however it would probably be easier to have the virus send you back all the MS Word documents it finds on the remote machine as there is likely a letterhead or address on a saved resume or something useful like that.

Things like google lattitude, four square and other social networking toys combined with GPS enabled phones make it much easier to find someone, provided they used those kinds of things.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by malloc View Post
    I can't imagine any software that would allow someone to trace an IP to the real address of a home user outside of T.V. You can find the ISP a given subnet is allocated to, but finding an address tied to it would require someone inside the ISP who can access client account information, a court order to force the ISP to hand over the info, or planting a trojan of some sort. ISPs probably don't even link the IP address to billing information for residential customers, because the IPs assigned to these customers are dynamic and change constantly. A MAC address is probably what is linked to the account, and those are unroutable, so you wouldn't be able to see that from the far side of an IP connection. Each ISP probably uses it's own billing software and processes, so each ISP has very dissimilar systems for holding and accessing such information which would make automation very difficult.

There are a few ways I could think of to get a physical address of a person just using an IP address, but none of them are easy or automated. For instance one could use an OS flaw to inject a virus or trojan, have that virus report back the MAC address, then try to get the client information for that MAC from the ISP, however it would probably be easier to have the virus send you back all the MS Word documents it finds on the remote machine as there is likely a letterhead or address on a saved resume or something useful like that.

Things like google lattitude, four square and other social networking toys combined with GPS enabled phones make it much easier to find someone, provided they used those kinds of things.
    must be how the figured out who and where the guy from Blizzard lived last July when they announced the changes to Real ID

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    He looks more like a Queer Rhino ?

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    He looks more like a Queer Rhino ?
    I will respectfully not inquire as to how you were able to make that comparison with such a tone of authority. :p
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    I will respectfully not inquire as to how you were able to make that comparison with such a tone of authority. :p
    Well first of all his horn is in the wrong place for a Unicorn,it should be higher on it's head well above the eyes .Secondly it prances around like a swishy San Francisco Ballet dancer in skin tight white leotards .All things considered a queer Rhino !
    Last edited by megimoo; 03-30-2011 at 12:23 AM.

Fabulous Poster
    I won't link to it, but until the other day I was unaware that an auto-sexual command often directed in anger at men is physically possible for some individuals.