Thread: Drive or Fly?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Drive or Fly? 
    Do you have a distance or time range that tells you to fly versus drive? I have to go to Pittsburgh next month for a short stay (24 hours). It's a 5 hour drive, 1.5 hour flight. But with getting to the airport early, etc., it will take me about 1.5 hours more to drive than to fly...so I guess I'll fly (also because I want to get out of there as soon as I can).

What's your limit on driving to your destination?

300 miles. That's it. Any more and I fly - even if it's on a rubberband flight. (aka buddy holly coffin). ;)
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Banned
    I like to drive; so, anything under 600 miles, I would drive unless I had to go thru numerous large cities. Since rail service is so good in the northeast, I might consider taking the train.

Time/cost comparison anyalsis, usually a judgement call thrown in .
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

I drive everywhere I can...
    Say what ya mean and get to the point quick....I don't have the attention span to listen to bullshit...

Pick me up a Steelers jersey while you're there, too...and a case of IC Light...

Since we've driven to Georgia and back to pick up the kid the last few summers, I don't mind a car-trip that's several hours long. Actually, it is kinda fun to be on a long car ride, especially if the scenery is new. Even though gas is high, getting a plane ticket and all the BS that comes with it now is like taking out a small loan. But if the drive was more than 8 hours, I'd see if a plane trip would be more economical (probably not, though).
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

Initially I hadn't even thought about price (I just assume driving will be cheaper). But when I thought about it...it will take about 2 tanks of gas, at $65 per tank plus about $15 in tolls (I think). So $145 to drive...same price to fly. Odd. It's never been the same price before.

And now I have to worry about whether or not the cops in PA are using the EZ-Pass on/offs to track whether or not I'm speeding. If they are, I can add on another $150 for the ticket that will come in the mail.

gator
    I don't fly any more unless I absolutely have to.

I just drove to Las Vegas and back (300 miles from Phoenix). It would have cost me a little more to fly but the hassles just aren't worth it to me. It's roughly a 5-6 hour trip depending on traffic at the Hoover Dam. Any more driving than that would be pushing it for me. I was pooped but less stressed.

Growing up in Wyoming and living in the West almost of my life has made me immune to the "too long to drive" mindset. When you have to go 30 miles for underpants, drive times collapse quite a bit.

I used to fly constantly for work. I was flying 2 or 3 times a month at one point. Since I have some "issues" with anxiety, this was not a good thing. I have to maintain constant vigilance to ensure that the plane doesn't drop out of the sky. This means no books, booze, drugs, or knitting. I was glad when that phase of my career came to an end.

I would prefer to drive or take a train. I would suck it up and take a flight if oceans were involved.