Thread: Drive or Fly?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I don't like flying, but I don't really dislike it either. The hassle factor is definitely there. And if I have company in the car I don't mind it at all. But driving to Pittsburgh is some of the most boring turnpike driving God ever created.

It would be more fun with a radar detector and if I was certain about the no ticket from Big Brother thingy. I've got to check my driving points record. I'm pretty certain I might be in the low danger zone as it is.

On the plus side, I averaged about 85 mph this weekend on the turnpike with no slamming of the brakes due to trooper sightings.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    I don't like flying, but I don't really dislike it either. The hassle factor is definitely there. And if I have company in the car I don't mind it at all. But driving to Pittsburgh is some of the most boring turnpike driving God ever created.

It would be more fun with a radar detector and if I was certain about the no ticket from Big Brother thingy. I've got to check my driving points record. I'm pretty certain I might be in the low danger zone as it is.

On the plus side, I averaged about 85 mph this weekend on the turnpike with no slamming of the brakes due to trooper sightings.
    Slowing down is always an option.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    And now I have to worry about whether or not the cops in PA are using the EZ-Pass on/offs to track whether or not I'm speeding. If they are, I can add on another $150 for the ticket that will come in the mail.
    Is that common in PA? I've heard that some states use the EZ-Pass thing to track your time, but haven't actually heard from anyone who has gotten caught.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jendf View Post
    I just drove to Las Vegas and back (300 miles from Phoenix). It would have cost me a little more to fly but the hassles just aren't worth it to me. It's roughly a 5-6 hour trip depending on traffic at the Hoover Dam. Any more driving than that would be pushing it for me. I was pooped but less stressed.
    The Hoover Dam traffic can be a giant pain in the butt.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    Is that common in PA? I've heard that some states use the EZ-Pass thing to track your time, but haven't actually heard from anyone who has gotten caught.
    I don't know. The FedEx guy mentioned it the other day. I haven't taken the time yet to check to see if they're doing it here yet or not.

Quote Originally Posted by jendf View Post
    Slowing down is always an option.
    No. We're going to have to think about a different option.

The Hoover Dam traffic can be a giant pain in the butt.
    It is getting better though since they started routing big trucks and RV's through Laughlin instead.

And when they get the overpass bridge completed, the whole drive through there should be a piece of cake.

No. We're going to have to think about a different option.
    No one showed you the brake in driver's ed? Did they not have brakes on cars way back then? :p

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    They do it here. And sometimes the Epass doesn't "take" when you go through a toll. You get a bill in the mail for whatever amount with a picture of your license plate. There have been numerous complaints that the toll authority is making half of them up, banking on people just sending in the extra money.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Banned

Get a Valentine 1 detector. Can only be bought thru mail order or the internet at 400 bucks. It has saved me many tickets and I like the arrows telling me where the radar is coming from. However, if you get zapped by instant on, you are toast.