Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 The Conservative Case Against Amnesty, and other issues 
    Bleda
    I'm curious, what is the conservative case against amnesty, and legalization of marijuana, prostitution and gay marriage? It's opposition, I know, but why? I've always been a die-hard conservative, but I've never really bothered with these issues. I've always been more of a national security/foreign policy kinda guy.

Anyway, I'm indifferent to all those issues, but I lean toward opposing them. Amnesty, because I don't think we should reward people for breaking the law. Legalization of marijuana, because I really hate drugs. Gay marriage, I don't really oppose or support it; I just don't think it's the government's business. As for prostitution, I have no idea what the arguments for and against it are.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Well lets do the easiest one first: Gay Marriage.

What the left does not want you to realize is that currently all 50 states of the union ALLOW gay marriage. I know - shocking right? If you'd listen to the stink you'd think that it was illegal. Well it's not. Not one of the 50 states or US territories has a law on the books making 'gay marriage' illegal. But you see - they don't want it to be allowed - they want it to be ENDORSED. They want over 2000 years of western civ thrown out the window and the term marriage redefined - ask yourself why? Why is state endorsement of their relationships so important?
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Amnesty - because the last time it was done the illegal problem got WORSE afterwords.

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=18399

Bleda
    Yeah, I know about the gay marriage is allowed thing. I'm talking about state/federal recognition of marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Yeah, I know about the gay marriage is allowed thing. I'm talking about state/federal recognition of marriage.
    So justify to me why is should be endorsed by the state. I have yet to hear a compelling reason for state endorsment that could not also be applied to every other form of deviant marriage - From mulitiples, to incestuous, to bestial, to 'under-aged.'

Bleda
    That's one of the reasons I'm concerned about gay marriage. It would set a precedent. If gay marriage is recognized, what if the polygamists start asking us to legalize polygamy? I mean, if they're adults and in love and it's consensual, etc, and we've already legalized gay marriage, why not legalize polygamy as well?

And what about marijuana and prostitution?

I'm not a conservative, but I can think of humanitarian reasons for supporting strict border controls and for opposing the legalization of prostitution.

Illegal immigration makes it possible for desperate people to be exploited. Whether it's human smuggling across the US/Mexico border, or bringing in people illegally from Asia or other places-the people are being brought in as cheap labor/slave labor or as prostitutes. People can use their illegal status to continue to exploit them in this country.

I can see both sides to legalizing prostitution, but doing so would be a bureaucratic nightmare, and could lead to epidemics of STDs. No testing is stringent enough to make any kind of guarantee. On top of everything else, it would be legalizing the exploitation of human beings, even if they do consent to be exploited. I used to think if it was legal, it might take the pimps out of the equation and allow the women to keep their own money. It wouldn't happen like that-the pimps would be legitimate, at that point. They'd just call themselves agents or security.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    That's one of the reasons I'm concerned about gay marriage. It would set a precedent. If gay marriage is recognized, what if the polygamists start asking us to legalize polygamy? I mean, if they're adults and in love and it's consensual, etc, and we've already legalized gay marriage, why not legalize polygamy as well?

And what about marijuana and prostitution?
    There is no if - they've been after it for ages and gay marriage would open the door wide for every other kind of deviant relationship to acquire state endorsement.

I have to say that I don't have a case against amnesty. In fact, I argue quite passionately for amnesty, as long as it is done along certain guidelines. The only other option to an amnesty would be mass deportation, which would be much worse for our nation that an amnesty done along conservative guidelines.
    Immigration Reform is coming, prepare yourself:
    www.ConservativeAmnesty.org
    The Land of the Free, not the Free Ride

Quote Originally Posted by newbym View Post
    I have to say that I don't have a case against amnesty. In fact, I argue quite passionately for amnesty, as long as it is done along certain guidelines. The only other option to an amnesty would be mass deportation, which would be much worse for our nation that an amnesty done along conservative guidelines.
    Our actual unemployment rate is over 20%, why should we allow illegals to compete with those who obey are laws for jobs?