Thread: Oh Joy Same Sex Couple Gives Birth to Sibling Twin Sets on Same Day

1. #1 Oh Joy Same Sex Couple Gives Birth to Sibling Twin Sets on Same Day 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Same Sex Couple Gives Birth to Sibling Twin Sets on Same Day

A same-sex couple gave birth to two sets of sibling twins within 24 hours of each other. Karen Wesolowski and Martha Padgett spent three years and more than $69,000 undergoing IVF treatment and could not believe it when they found out they were each carrying twins. The four children born are actually quadruplets, created from Padgett's eggs and donor sperm.

"We had been trying on and off for three years and we were exhausted," she continued. "We had tried using my eggs and a sperm donor and we had tried using Martha's eggs in me. We had literally tried everything and had spent tens of thousands ... on treatment. So when Martha said to me that we should both have her eggs implanted, I thought why not?"

Padgett had her babies first, Sophia and Alex, and 22 hours later her Wesolowski had the twins' siblings Andrew and Sienna.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,394461,00.html

Are they really quadruplets?

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    Are they really quadruplets?
    Same mothers eggs,same sperm just different 'host' !I would say yes !Very much the same as fertilized eggs being transplated and placed in a surrogate womb,'a womb for w/rent ' !

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Same mothers eggs,same sperm just different 'host' !I would say yes !Very much the same as fertilized eggs being transplated and placed in a surrogate womb,'a womb for w/rent ' !
    Yes, but technically, my sister and I are the same mother's eggs, and the same sperm (I know, I know, how incredibly old-fashioned) but we're not twins...just siblings.

Patent Member
    Yes, but technically, my sister and I are the same mother's eggs, and the same sperm (I know, I know, how incredibly old-fashioned) but we're not twins...just siblings.
    Fraternal twins are different eggs being implanted by different sperm in the womb. But they are still "twins."

So if you've got the same mother, same father, and same birthday, they are fraternal twins.

Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post
    Fraternal twins are different eggs being implanted by different sperm in the womb. But they are still "twins."

So if you've got the same mother, same father, and same birthday, they are fraternal twins.
    Yes, I thought of the fraternal twin angle. I'm just trying to wrap my brain around this. It's weird.

Nothing wrong with being old fashioned !

Two embryos were implanted into the mother, and both were fertilized, hospital spokesman Michael Schwartzberg said. One of them split, then split again, creating the identical triplets.

If this were done with two different woman and four eggs from the same doner were fertilized
    and implanted two to each woman ,If they came to term each producing twins wouldn't they be a quad birth ?Different wombs same batch of fertilized eggs !

In a singular conception only one egg is involved in the fertilisation process.If a simultaneous sperm entry occurs into the same ovum twins may form from a single egg and then subdivides later.

Here's more results from my small research so far !

Multiple Follicles may form and develop together and mature to be released !

Follicles - Small sacs in the ovaries that each contain an immature ovum.
    Follicular-Stage - Name given to first stage of feminine menstrual cycle.
    FSH - Follicle Stimulating Hormone. A peptide that is produced in the pituitary gland in the brain that has different effects on men and women.

In women, it controls the development of a follicles as they are released from the ovaries. In men, it encourages the production of spermatazoa.
    Gamete - An egg or spermatozoon. A male or female reproductive cell.
    Gonad - The human sex gland. Produces gametes.

Two-Egg Quadruplets with three identicle tripplets and a single !

Two embryos were implanted into the mother, and both were fertilized, hospital spokesman Michael Schwartzberg said. One of them split, then split again, creating the identical triplets.

Monozygotic twins
    Monozygotic twins, frequently referred to as identical twins, occur when a single egg is fertilized to form one zygote (monozygotic) which then divides into two separate embryos.

Dizygotic twins
    Dizygotic twins (commonly known as fraternal twins, but also referred to as non-identical twins or biovular twins) usually occur when two fertilized eggs are implanted in the uterine wall at the same time. When two eggs are independently fertilized by two different sperm cells, DZ twins result. The two eggs, or 'ova', form two zygotes, hence the terms 'dizygotic' and 'biovular'

A multiple pregnancy occurs when one egg (ovum) splits before implanting or when separate eggs are each fertilized by a different sperm.

Identical twins or triplets occur with the fertilization of a single egg that later divides into two or three identical embryos. Identical twins or triplets have the same genetic identity, are always the same sex, and look almost exactly the same.

Fraternal multiples develop from separate eggs, each fertilized by a different sperm. Fraternal twins might or might not be of the same sex and might not necessarily resemble each other any more than two siblings from the same parents might.

In a pregnancy with triplets or more, the babies can be all identical, all fraternal, or a mixture of both. This can happen when multiple eggs are released by the mother and fertilized. If one or more of these fertilized eggs divides into two or more embryos, a mixture of identical and fraternal multiples will occur.blastulae, when they can be isolated in pairs or quartets.
    Last edited by megimoo; 07-30-2008 at 09:43 PM.

My ADD just kicked in!! if someone can sum it all up in one paragraph, I might get it... hehe. Pretty confusing!!

Isolated Mountain Range in Eastern Nevada
    I saw this on t.v. some medical show.
    two women, four eggs from one woman were fertilized, they wanted to double their odds of getting preggers, so they implanted two each..and all four took off! so are fraternal quads but not born on same day.
    and I found it interesting that all they did after they were born was bitch about how much work it was! It came across to me that they were having the babies as some sort of status symbol or "statement" but didn't want to deal with the reality of it. Even before they were born, family had to come over and set up the nursery for them.
    I smile because I don't know what the heck is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkalot View Post
    I saw this on t.v. some medical show.
    two women, four eggs from one woman were fertilized, they wanted to double their odds of getting preggers, so they implanted two each..and all four took off! so are fraternal quads but not born on same day.
    and I found it interesting that all they did after they were born was bitch about how much work it was! It came across to me that they were having the babies as some sort of status symbol or "statement" but didn't want to deal with the reality of it. Even before they were born, family had to come over and set up the nursery for them.
    They will probably sue the sperm doner for child support !