1. #1 'Pants on the Ground' puts style in spotlight 
    'Pants on the Ground' puts style in spotlight
    By Tony Hicks
    Contra Costa Times

Posted: 01/29/2010 04:30:36 PM PST
    Updated: 01/30/2010 08:36:35 AM PST

At Bridges restaurant in Danville, a young repairman arrived to fix a piece of equipment pretty normal stuff.

Except, the repairman had his pants on the ground, as "General" Larry Platt would say.

"The boss had to ask him to pull his pants up because it was unacceptable with guests in the restaurant," said Shyer Lovecchio, Bridges' office manager.

For the record, he was a refrigerator repairman, not a plumber. And the look was intentional.

Call it the style statement that won't go away. More than 25 years ago, young men first began wearing their pants so low on their hips people marveled that they managed to keep them on. Then people got used to it. In fact, no one was even talking about sagging pants anymore, until the Jan. 13 broadcast of "American Idol."

That's when America watched Larry Platt, 62, shuffle into an Atlanta audition. After announcing in a soft voice that he was "General" Larry Platt, he launched into a yelling dance routine to his own song "Pants on the Ground."

The 47-second bit launched a pop-culture phenomenon.

"I've never seen an 'Idol'-related phenomenon hit the Internet as quickly as 'Pants,'" said Lyndsey Parker, managing editor at Yahoo Music. Within 20 minutes of Platt's audition, it was all over YouTube, she said. By the next morning, countless remixes sped around the Internet.

(snip)

How the style originated is not clear. Some say it came from prisons, where inmates were prohibited from wearing belts they could use as weapons. Another theory says baggy pants were simply an extension of '80s hip-hop fashion inspired by the zoot suits of the '30s and '40s.

Pants continued to slip down as the music genre expanded into the suburbs.

"It's pretty much implanted into our brains that it looks cool," said Justin Purcell, a 17-year-old senior at California High School in San Ramon. "I put them around the top of my crack, while some have them totally off their butt. When girls wear their sweats, a lot of them wear them pretty low."

Japrell Phillips, a 21-year-old Diablo Valley College student from Pittsburg, says the style comes and goes. He looked down at his own pants, slung well below his hips.

"I used to wear them even baggier than this," he said. "But I couldn't walk. They were down to my kneecaps at least that's what my teachers used to say."

Marcus Feiner, of Concord, said he no longer even thinks about his baggy pants especially since the trend was well under way when he was born 20 years ago.

"I just like to have my pants right below my hips," Feiner said. "Some people go pretty far. I just do it because it feels right."

Justin and Phillips agree sagging baggies' days may be numbered, even without Platt's help. "Not nearly as many (kids are going low) as when I was in eighth grade," Justin said.

That's good news to a fashion expert in San Francisco.

"It's become a rather tired, post-high school uniform," said Simon Ungless, director of fashion at the Academy of Art University.
    Interesting. I only see this among high school boys and unemployed 20-somethings. Out here the crotch-around-the-knees look pretty much screams, "I'm unemployable/out-on-parole".

Mercury News

We had a maintenance man that wore them that way at an aircraft machine shop that I worked at. After I pulled them down a couple of times while he was working on a ladder he quit doing it.

I love it when teens are stupid enough to show up at Juvie with baggy pants. The judges and referees are not amused by the style.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    We had a maintenance man that wore them that way at an aircraft machine shop that I worked at. After I pulled them down a couple of times while he was working on a ladder he quit doing it.
    You climbed all the way up a ladder to do WHAT to him???:eek:

You've been around Bubba way too much.

Start a thread of your own for your love life or for WTFMI......
    I bought a new Barack Obama yardstick so that I can measure the change.

Quote Originally Posted by Crapouillot View Post
    You climbed all the way up a ladder to do WHAT to him???:eek:

You've been around Bubba way too much.

Start a thread of your own for your love life or for WTFMI......
    He was only six feet or so off the ground but it is very awkward pulling your britches up while on a ladder!

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    He was only six feet or so off the ground but it is very awkward pulling your britches up while on a ladder!
    Yeah, but you were pulling them DOWN. :eek:

Please. Climbing a ladder to do perverted things.....people will think you're Poli. :p
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    Yeah, but you were pulling them DOWN. :eek:

Please. Climbing a ladder to do perverted things.....people will think you're Poli. :p
    Poli is so short he wears out the seat of his pants just walking around. :D
    I bought a new Barack Obama yardstick so that I can measure the change.

The fashion trend did start in prison. But it wasn't because of the no belts thing the writer speaks about. It was supposedly because wearing baggy pants made themselves undesirable to other inmates. Personally I think it looks incredibly stupid.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

what no one has posted the video yet??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY8uzqNi4sA
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.