Sledding fail: Independence Township man hospitalized after homemade rocket explodes (Michigan)
"I Should Put This In Humor But You Know What Will Happen ?"
sledding-fail-independence-township.JPGFox 2 (see gallery)Police say a 62-year-old man was riding this sled when a self-made rocket exploded while strapped to his back.
Calling to mind any number of Home Improvement episodes, police say a 62-year-old Independence Township man was hospitalized Sunday after strapping a homemade rocket to his back while sledding.
Fox 2 reports the rocket -- a combination of gunpowder, match heads and gasoline stuffed in a motorcycle muffler -- exploded during a downhill ride at a party he hosted.
“Apparently, he has this sledding party every year, and he always does outrageous things at it, but he’s never blown himself up before,” Oakland County Undersheriff Mike McCabe told the Detroit Free Press.
As you might imagine, authorities believe alcohol played a role, but no charges have been filed as the investigation continues.
The Oakland Press reports the man suffered second-degree burns on 18 percent of his body and is in stable condition at POH Regional Medical Center.