Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 House passes bill to regulate tobacco 
    The House on Wednesday overwhelmingly passed legislation that for the first time would subject the tobacco industry to regulation by federal health authorities charged with promoting public well-being.

Its backers call the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act "landmark" legislation. While the bill appears to have enough support to pass this year, it's unclear whether the Senate will have time to act, and the Bush administration is strongly opposed.

The 326-102 House vote signaled solid bipartisan support for the measure, with 96 Republicans breaking with President Bush to vote in favor of the bill. Both presidential candidates, Sens. John McCain, R-Ariz., and Barack Obama, D-Ill., back the legislation.

Rep. Henry Waxman, D-Calif., worked for more than a decade to get the House to pass tobacco regulation.

"This is truly a historic day in the fight against tobacco," Waxman said. "But it took us far too long to get here."

The bill would further tighten restrictions on tobacco advertising and impose new federal penalties for selling to minors. But its most far-reaching provisions would give the Food and Drug Administration the power to regulate tobacco, from cigarettes to new kinds of smokeless products.

While the agency could not outlaw tobacco or nicotine, it could demand the reduction or elimination of cancer-causing chemicals in cigarette smoke. The bill would prohibit candy flavored cigars and cigarettes, and would give the FDA authority to ban menthol - by far the most commonly added flavoring.

Opponents of the bill say having a public health agency regulate tobacco would send the wrong message. Besides, they argue that the agency is overwhelmed dealing with food and drug safety problems, and doesn't need complicated new responsibilities.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080730/D928FG900.html

tobacco prices set to jump again! I gave up buying cigarrettes over a year ago and roll my own now with one of those machine thingys. Better tobacco, no chemicals and a whole bunch cheaper.

That's like having PETA regulate steaks.

Goldwater
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Shouldn't just regulate, should be banned, along with alcohol, bring back prohibition!

Quote Originally Posted by Goldwater View Post
    Shouldn't just regulate, should be banned, along with alcohol, bring back prohibition!
    Yeah! Because that's worked so well in the past. I can't wait to grow Colorado Fine Leaf tobacco in my backyard and sell it.

Oh boy, more nanny state crap courtesy of our keepers in Washington! :mad: And I dont even smoke/dip/chew
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants, it is the creed of slaves." -William Pitt

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    You mean they don't?

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

"This tobacco product has zero calories & zero transfats per serving"
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Eyelids
    This is where liberals start to piss me off.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwater View Post
    Are you crazy? :) Just think of those Federal tax revenues that will be lost, and God forbid the states having to re-budget to make up for losing all that money (yearly payments) thru the tobacco setlement. :eek:

This is just another power grab because the Feds could not regulate a shit house effectively and cost--wise.

It's good to know we have the government to decide what's best for us.

Do they want a black market?