Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    Tobacco is a very dangerous substance that kills a half million Americans a year. Because it is addicitive most people cannot make rational decisions on its use.
    Most people can't make rational decisions in general.

Don't you think the government should regulate something that dangerous?
    Nope.

gator
    Quote Originally Posted by FeebMaster View Post
    Most people can't make rational decisions in general.
    You are correct, most people are morons. People that use tobacco product are the cream of the moron stock.

Nope
    The courts disagree with you because it is settled case law in the US that the government has the right to regulate dangerous substances.

If you don't want the lawmakers to regulate it then don't vote them in.

You may argue that the law makers shouldn't regulate something that you are addicted to but you can't argue they don't have the right because the SCOTUS has already ruled on that. You lost.

Goldwater
    Tobacco is a very dangerous substance that kills a half million Americans a year. Because it is addicitive most people cannot make rational decisions on its use. Don't you think the government should regulate something that dangerous?
    It's a terrible substance, my father died of lung cancer, tobacco is a silly thing to be involved with. However, people should have the freedom to make their stupid decisions and do it if they want to, same with drugs. Making tobacco illegal just means you've turned a couple of million people into drug addicts who have an ultimatum, they either have to quit cold turkey or break the law to get what they want, respect for the law decreases in this situation just like under prohibition.

The courts disagree with you because it is settled case law in the US that the government has the right to regulate dangerous substances.

If you don't want the lawmakers to regulate it then don't vote them in.

You may argue that the law makers shouldn't regulate something that you are addicted to but you can't argue they don't have the right because the SCOTUS has already ruled on that. You lost.
    Remember this post when the courts finally iron out just how far guns can be regulated while still calling it an individual right to bear arms.

How many billions of dollars a year are you willing to spend to wipe out the scourge of tobacco? You think when the violence that comes with the black market rises there won't be calls for even more gun regulation, more expansion of asset forfeiture laws, more police powers in general? Is that a price you're willing to pay?

gator
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwater View Post
    It's a terrible substance, my father died of lung cancer, tobacco is a silly thing to be involved with. However, people should have the freedom to make their stupid decisions and do it if they want to, same with drugs. Making tobacco illegal just means you've turned a couple of million people into drug addicts who have an ultimatum, they either have to quit cold turkey or break the law to get what they want, respect for the law decreases in this situation just like under prohibition.
    It is addictive, which means the people are not going make rational choices on its use. That is why a half million people dies each year.

If defective cars or illegal aliens killed a half million people each year we would demand the government step in. In fact if anything killed a half million people each year we would demand the government protect us. Why suggest the government should not be protecting us over this very dangerous and addictive substance?

If the harmful effects kicked in before and during the child bearing age the problem would go away due to the Darwin Effect. Since the damage occurs after the moron gene is passed on to offspring the problem continues.

And unlike other addictions, tobbaco isnt considered important enough for there to be publicly funded rehab centers like there are for crack, meth and the like. At least I do not know of any.

Smart insurance companies like Blue Cross Blue Shield offer free to quit programs, but you have to have their coverage first.

gator
    Quote Originally Posted by FeebMaster View Post
    Remember this post when the courts finally iron out just how far guns can be regulated while still calling it an individual right to bear arms.
    The SCOTUS has recently affirmed the govenment does not have the right to take away my right to keep and bear arms.

There is no Constitutional right to use a dangerous and addictive drug. SCOTUS has already ruled that the Federal, State and local government have the right to regulate dangerous substances.

I wouldn't vote for someone that promised to pass a law restricting my right to keep and bear arms. I would vote for some that promised to regulate tobacco.

How many billions of dollars a year are you willing to spend to wipe out the scourge of tobacco? You think when the violence that comes with the black market rises there won't be calls for even more gun regulation, more expansion of asset forfeiture laws, more police powers in general? Is that a price you're willing to pay?
    As much as it takes to prevent the deaths of a half million people each year.

Actually I wouldn't give a shit but I pay the health cost of the dumbshits that use tobacco products. Health care cost in America are really divided up among those of that that pay. Tobacco addicts are a burden to the sytem and drive up the cost.

Also, tobacco users endager my life by emitting the cancer causing posion in the air. Since I don't have the right to whack the dumbass then the govenment should act on my behalf.

Goldwater
    SCOTUS has already ruled that the Federal, State and local government have the right to regulate dangerous substances.
    Only federal has a say on drugs.

The SCOTUS has recently affirmed the govenment does not have the right to take away my right to keep and bear arms.
    Not really. They said it was an individual right and left things wide open for all kinds of regulation.

There is no Constitutional right to use a dangerous and addictive drug.
    Sure there is, but no one cares about that amendment.

I wouldn't vote for someone that promised to pass a law restricting my right to keep and bear arms. I would vote for some that promised to regulate tobacco.
    Good luck finding someone who doesn't want to do both.

Actually I wouldn't give a shit but I pay the health cost of the dumbshits that use tobacco products. Health care cost in America are really divided up among those of that that pay. Tobacco addicts are a burden to the sytem and drive up the cost.
    So get the government out of the healthcare business. Let insurance companies charge smokers whatever they want. If the smokers can't afford it, that's their problem.

Also, tobacco users endager my life by emitting the cancer causing posion in the air. Since I don't have the right to whack the dumbass then the govenment should act on my behalf.
    Better ban those cars and cellphones too. It's for the children.

gator
    Only federal has a say on drugs.
    Then when a local cop arrest you for possession it is illegal?

The feds have taken the lead to establish standards for dangerous drugs but the State and locals can do the same.

The State and locals can make it illegal to use cocaine and they can make it illegal to use tobacco, if they want.