Thread: House passes bill to regulate tobacco

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwater View Post
    :(

I wuv you LL...

I wuv you too Au, smoking is just a very touchy subject with me. My family obviously has some genetic weakness and they just watch each other die and puff away.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    You have done just what the tobacco addicts always do when confronted with a little moral clarity on the issue. You point to something else.

We may or may not want to cut the fat and lazy bastards out of the health care honey wagon but that is another discussion. This discussion is about the stupidy and unfairness of the burden the tobacco addicts put on decent people.

Smoking is one of the most stupid things a human being can do. Just because there are other stupid things don't mean we shouldn't hold the dumbshits responsible for their own health cost.
    I quit smoking over 20 years ago and was a 3 pack a day man. I quit cold turkey because I could not control my addicition. Being addicted to anything is stupid. However, someone that smokes 3 or 4 cigs or a cigar a day is not addicted. I don't think they pose a health risk to themselves or anyone else. I also believe this second hand smoke is a bunch of crap. If it did, I would be dead by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    I'm completely shocked that Gator showed up in this thread with his usual anti-smoking rants.
    I'm shocked, too, like it's never happened before. :D

Too bad the board had gone down, they could have gone back to one of the other threads and cut and pasted and saved keystroking time.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    I quit smoking over 20 years ago and was a 3 pack a day man. I quit cold turkey because I could not control my addicition. Being addicted to anything is stupid. However, someone that smokes 3 or 4 cigs or a cigar a day is not addicted. I don't think they pose a health risk to themselves or anyone else. I also believe this second hand smoke is a bunch of crap. If it did, I would be dead by now.
    Did SR pay you to say this? :p
    Last edited by SaintLouieWoman; 08-01-2008 at 10:43 PM.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Did SR pay you to say this? :p
    No, I am just saying that people that are light smokers are less a drag on the health system than what has been presented here.

Since I quit smoking, I would not want to kiss someone that smokes. After a couple of hours around a smoker, your clothes and hair stink. People that smoke do not realize that but it is true. Get in a elevator with someone that has smoked a cig and they reek with tobacco odor. However, it could be that since I had my sinus surgery that my sniffer is working at 100+%.

Shouldn't just regulate, should be banned, along with alcohol, bring back prohibition!

Great idea take away a tax winner for the government, create a black market demand for 2 more products giving more money to criminals, and drive crime up even more! Genius!

Cato's Levy Challenges Federal Tobacco Myths

This is not to say that tobacco is not a problem. Tobacco is clearly a problem. The evidence is overwhelming that use of tobacco can cause lung cancer, emphysema, bronchitis. But with respect to other diseases its role is less certain. This causes us to ask whether the government is lying to us in presenting these kinds of statistics, because, if it is, that has implications.

Insight: What implications?

RAL: We've seen what happened with antitobacco lawsuits. They've morphed now into antigun litigation. Shortly, it will be the HMOs [health-maintenance organizations] under attack. Who knows what will be next? Fatty foods and alcohol are other obvious candidates for such government-sponsored litigation. The corruption of science for political ends is destructive to a free society and dangerous to citizens who want their government to refrain from activities that intrude upon the rights of people to make their own choices.

Data are being massaged so as to produce outcomes that the litigants find congenial; whether those outcomes are supported by the data is disregarded. I think that's exactly what happened in the tobacco wars.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Goldwater
    Quote Originally Posted by Aklover View Post
    Great idea take away a tax winner for the government, create a black market demand for 2 more products giving more money to criminals, and drive crime up even more! Genius!
    You love it!

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    No, I am just saying that people that are light smokers are less a drag on the health system than what has been presented here.

Since I quit smoking, I would not want to kiss someone that smokes.
    Thanks for the support bud but if you think you get a kissy....:mad::D
    May the FORCE be with you!

You love it!

Sarcasm meter broken?