1. #1 Old Wives' Tales Wednesday. 
    We might get into the mid 40s by noon but that's it. I hate this time of year. Unless I'm actually skiing, the whole ice/snow/bone-chilling wind thing is overrated. :mad:

I was talking with a friend last night and as usual, she was discussing her diet disappointments. She's been on a new diet for 3 weeks but she's only lost 2 or 3 pounds. This is some diet out of a magazine that's supposed to be between 1300 - 1400 calories a day. It's mostly veggie so it doesn't sound radical or anything. She's convinced that her lack of success is down to the fabled "starvation mode". She's simply eating so few calories that her metabolism has "shut down". Gee, if only those poor suckers at Auschwitz could have gotten into "starvation mode".

She's my friend so I let all this pass. I think her lack of success is due to constant grazing. I think she's eating way more than she believes she's eating but whatever. "Starvation mode" is an old wives' tale that I hear a lot and it drives me crazy. There decades of nutrition and metabolic research refuting this but you hear it from trainers, nutritionists, diet doctors, and Oprah.

TOTD: What are some contemporary old wives' tales that you have heard? Why can't people rid themselves of these notions when they defy direct observation?

Keep it to things most of us have probably heard of and leave religion and politics out of it. These beliefs cluster around everything from eating to dog training to health issues and beyond. Let's hear yours!

Power CUer
    The only old wives' tale I can think of is about not swimming for an hour after eating, and I think that may be real.
    Can you give us some examples?
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Hmmm, the only old wives tale I've heard is...

"Yes, I'm sure my husband is out of town".

rm -rf obama*

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    The only old wives' tale I can think of is about not swimming for an hour after eating, and I think that may be real.
    Can you give us some examples?
    That's one, obviously. The human digestive system is perfectly capable of doing its thing while swimming, having sex, sky-diving, or whatever.

Winter-was-a-lot-worse-when-I-was-a-kid is another I hear. I see all the records and while some years are snowier than others, over a ten-year period it pretty much evens out. People believe this because if you are 3 feet tall, 6 inches of snow is a lot. When your brain only has a few years of winter records in it, you tend to remember ordinary events more vividly. As an adult, 6 inches of snow is trivial in a lot of places and you don't remember it with the same impact.

Vegetarians-are-skinny. Not around here, they aren't. If you get most of your calories from rice, potatoes, bread, and soy products, you will need to watch your weight the same as anyone else.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BadCat View Post
    Hmmm, the only old wives tale I've heard is...

"Yes, I'm sure my husband is out of town".
    That could be fatal.