Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Pig lungs in human transplants move step closer 
    Pig lungs in human transplants move step closer

The use of pig lungs in transplants into humans has moved a step closer with a medical breakthrough.

Published: 4:36PM GMT 03 Feb 2010
    Comments 17 | Comment on this article

Experts estimated the work could lead to the first animal-human transplants within five years
    Photo: ALAMY

Scientists in Melbourne, Australia, used a ventilator and pump to keep the animal lungs alive and "breathing" while human blood flowed in them.

Experts estimated the work could lead to the first animal-human transplants within five years.

Glenn Westall, who helped conduct the experiment, said: “The blood went into the lungs without oxygen and came out with oxygen, which is the exact function of the lungs.

"It showed that these lungs were working perfectly well and doing as we were expecting them to do.

“This is a significant advance compared to experiments that have been performed over the past 20 years."

The breakthrough came after scientists were able to remove a section of pig DNA, which had made the pig organs incompatible with human blood.

Previous attempts to combine unmodified pig lungs and human blood ended abruptly two years ago when blood clots began forming almost immediately, causing the organs to become so blocked no blood could pass through.

Human DNA is now added to the pigs as they are reared to reduce clotting and the number of lungs which are rejected.

The full results of the research are due to be announced in Vancouver in August.

The issue has prompted an ethical debate about the use of animals for human transplants.

Medical ethicist Professor Nicholas Tonti-Filippini said: “It is basically a human-pig, a hybrid, or whatever you want to call it.

“It is about whether the community is prepared to accept a part human, part animal."
    Good news for Christians! :p

Telegraph

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Good news for Christians! :p

Telegraph
    Bad news for pigs!:eek:

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Good news for pigs! We'll need more of them. I expect doctors will want large, mature lungs so the piggies will have at least 2 or 3 years of rooting around.

Get lots of fresh air. I want your lungs in tip top shape when they cut them out of you to give to me.
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    Get lots of fresh air. I want your lungs in tip top shape when they cut them out of you to give to me.
    Yeah and then they spiral slice your ass and coat it with patriots glaze!:eek:

Think of it as job security.

My ass could use a little trimming.
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

8. #8 Pig lungs in human transplants move step closer 
    :eek:
    Quote Originally Posted by UKTelegraph
    Pig lungs in human transplants move step closer
    The use of pig lungs in transplants into humans has moved a step closer with a medical breakthrough.
    Scientists in Melbourne, Australia, used a ventilator and pump to keep the animal lungs alive and "breathing" while human blood flowed in them.

Experts estimated the work could lead to the first animal-human transplants within five years.
    Link

Seems like "Lounge" material but also has a "End of the World" air abut it......

So Rock, have you put your piggy lungs on the donors list yet? :D

Dammit...I see Ginger has me beat in General discussions.... :mad:

Quote Originally Posted by Mau10man View Post
    :eek:

Link

Seems like "Lounge" material but also has a "End of the World" air abut it......

So Rock, have you put your piggy lungs on the donors list yet? :D
    They will go to the highest bidder! I intend to live in luxury until I go to the little white building with refrigeration units on top!:D