Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Bear with Jar on It's head shot in Busy Town in Northern Minnesota 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    The wanderings of a black bear for six days with a plastic food jar covering its head came to a deadly end in northern Minnesota, when authorities killed the hungry and thirsty animal in a town bustling with visitors.The bear, a male about 2 years old, was shot by police in Frazee on Saturday night as the town was celebrating Turkey Days.

"With all the people around ... you're never sure what the outcome is going to be," Rob Naplin, a wildlife supervisor for the state Department of Natural Resources in Park Rapids, said today.

Naplin said efforts were made to trap the bear as it moved from spots in or near Itasca State Park. At one point, the DNR was equipped to tranquilize the animal, "but we never had the opportunity. ... because it stayed in forested areas" for nearly all of the time since it was first spotted July 21 until it met its fate in Frazee, he said.

Naplin said the bear "was in pretty tough condition after not being able to eat or drink for several days" with the 2.5-gallon plastic jar over its head. He said the jar is the type that holds candy or popcorn and can be bought at large discount stores.

http://www.startribune.com/local/260...lightModules:3

Goldwater
    Why not sedate the bear?

Quote Originally Posted by Goldwater View Post
    Why not sedate the bear?
    Follow the link for details !

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    I followed the link. They should have called that bear sanctuary right away. Why would they have jeopardized the safety of the people and the bear for all those days? It's also a good thing the officer was a good shot. If that many people were around, I'd think the festival visitors might have been in danger.

This reminds me of how bears were often killed in Canada, sitting ducks when they were foraging in the city dump.

It's more a matter of folks disposing of their trash properly. I realize that's a tough thing to do in bear country.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Goldwater
    Still hasn't changed my mind that much, several of them fired at once would do it. I suppose if you have to be absolutely sure...

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Poor Yogi couldn't get to the picnic basket! :(:D

Seriously, I think that bear could have been saved if they call the bear folks sooner.

Oh well, I wonder who gets the rug??
    May the FORCE be with you!

Why not sedate the bear?
    Just in case they ran out of Turkey ;)
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Still hasn't changed my mind that much, several of them fired at once would do it. I suppose if you have to be absolutely sure...
    Tell you what .Next time they have a bear in in a jar go on up there and take it off !

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    I followed the link. They should have called that bear sanctuary right away. Why would they have jeopardized the safety of the people and the bear for all those days? It's also a good thing the officer was a good shot. If that many people were around, I'd think the festival visitors might have been in danger.

This reminds me of how bears were often killed in Canada, sitting ducks when they were foraging in the city dump.

It's more a matter of folks disposing of their trash properly. I realize that's a tough thing to do in bear country.

It looks like they didn't have much interest in the bear until it started into the downtown area .
    They tried to sedate it but it wandered into the woods.
    If they really wanted to go to the trouble they could have trapped and sedated it but didn't have enough equipment so they took the easy way out !

Goldwater
    Tell you what .Next time they have a bear in in a jar go on up there and take it off !
    I will! You'll see, and the bear will thank me by crushing my enemies.