Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpy View Post
    I disagree with you. I have read several articles on it... people were asleep. The guy has a knife, and is stabbing the victim in the chest. Would you intervene?? I have to say that I could not..

The bus driver and others tried to help the victim, but the guy went at them with the knife. This is a bus aisle.. they cannot surround him.

Unless someone, a good shot, was armed with a gun, I do not believe this could have been prevented. edited to say... it could possibly have been prevented by having bus passengers go through metal detectors.
    I may the only one on this site who has routinely taken Greyhound buses cross-country. I can tell you for a fact that nobody (aside from the drunks) can sleep soundly on a bus. One scream and the whole place would be awake instantly. The article says the victim was stabbed dozens of times. While stabbing can happen quickly indeed, you have to know that those people watched it happen and did not instantly rush the killer.

It's true that intervening may not have saved the victim if an artery was severed and it's true that the rescuers may have received non-life threatening injuries, but they could have given the guy a shot at surviving.

They were cowards.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I may the only one on this site who has routinely taken Greyhound buses cross-country. I can tell you for a fact that nobody (aside from the drunks) can sleep soundly on a bus. One scream and the whole place would be awake instantly. The article says the victim was stabbed dozens of times. While stabbing can happen quickly indeed, you have to know that those people watched it happen and did not instantly rush the killer.

It's true that intervening may not have saved the victim if an artery was severed and it's true that the rescuers may have received non-life threatening injuries, but they could have given the guy a shot at surviving.

They were cowards.
    You wouldve been alert enough to organize a group of people to attack the attacker... maybe in time to save him?

The victim could not have been the only person asleep when the attack started. He was asleep, so most likely, others were too.

Those people were not just standing there watching... they were getting off the bus as fast as they could. One person said that he was running up the aisle, "slapping people" to wake them to get off the bus.

This victim could not have been saved... and for the people to get off the bus, locking the guy into it... disabling the guy from taking off with the bus.. it prevented a potential massacre, IMO.
    Last edited by Jumpy; 07-31-2008 at 08:10 PM.

You wouldve been alert enough to organize a group of people to attack the attacker... maybe in time to save him?
    There's no organizing involved. Both before and after 9/11 studies proved that it takes only one person willing to rush the crazy to instantly recruit half a dozen others. Time after time now we read articles about nut cases on planes who are just subdued by the passengers after one person makes a move.

This guy was a insane guy. He had no plans to kill everyone aboard. While the rescuers may have gotten cut, bitten, or punched it's unlikely that any of them would have sustained life-threatening wounds. People get fixed up in the ER all time after being on the wrong end of a stabby attack.

Nobody gets fixed up after being on the wrong end of a decapitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    There's no organizing involved. Both before and after 9/11 studies proved that it takes only one person willing to rush the crazy to instantly recruit half a dozen others. Time after time now we read articles about nut cases on planes who are just subdued by the passengers after one person makes a move.

This guy was a insane guy. He had no plans to kill everyone aboard. While the rescuers may have gotten cut, bitten, or punched it's unlikely that any of them would have sustained life-threatening wounds. People get fixed up in the ER all time after being on the wrong end of a stabby attack.

Nobody gets fixed up after being on the wrong end of a decapitation.
    Sadly, and mercifully, with all of the stabbing, He was most likely dead before the decapitation.

You are calling all the passengers on this bus, "cowards". What would you have done??

I disagree with you. I have read several articles on it... people were asleep. The guy has a knife, and is stabbing the victim in the chest. Would you intervene?? I have to say that I could not..

The bus driver and others tried to help the victim, but the guy went at them with the knife. This is a bus aisle.. they cannot surround him.

Unless someone, a good shot, was armed with a gun, I do not believe this could have been prevented. edited to say... it could possibly have been prevented by having bus passengers go through metal detectors.
    I'd like to think I would have. I'd like to think that it would be impossible for me to merely think of my own safety while someone was getting hacked to death. I'd like to think that if I were the victim, and there were 35 people there, a few of them would stop the guy from chopping my head off. But I'd also like to think sometimes that we, as a race, are not doomed. Generally, I'm wrong on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    I'd like to think I would have. I'd like to think that it would be impossible for me to merely think of my own safety while someone was getting hacked to death. I'd like to think that if I were the victim, and there were 35 people there, a few of them would stop the guy from chopping my head off. But I'd also like to think sometimes that we, as a race, are not doomed. Generally, I'm wrong on that.
    From what I have read, this victim was very likely dead before the decapitation. He wouldve been dead from the stabbing.

So you would run back on the bus, down the aisle, and one-on-one, confront an insane person with a knife?

From what I have read, this victim was very likely dead before the decapitation. He wouldve been dead from the stabbing.

So you would run back on the bus, down the aisle, and one-on-one, confront an insane person with a knife?
    I would hope that I would. Human dignity requires it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    I would hope that I would. Human dignity requires it.
    And you would be dead if you did. The victim was already gone... if you confronted the killer...one-on-one in a narrow aisle, that would be another victim. Unless you are a master of martial arts, an army ranger, or navy seal.

They saved lives by locking him in the bus and confining him until people with guns arrived.

And you would be dead if you did. The victim was already gone... if you confronted the killer...one-on-one in a narrow aisle, that would be another victim. Unless you are a master of martial arts, an army ranger, or navy seal.

They saved lives by locking him in the bus and confining him until people with guns arrived.
    We don't really know that. Nor would we know that in that instant. People have survived multiple stab wounds. And it certainly would be impossible for me to know the victim was dead as I was running out the door to save myself. If it were a child that he was stabbing, would you likewise run away?

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Sadly, and mercifully, with all of the stabbing, He was most likely dead before the decapitation.

You are calling all the passengers on this bus, "cowards". What would you have done??
    You must be A Canadian !