Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Dakota County

Family Law Self-Help program staffed by volunteer attorneys.
    (651) 438-8102 to schedule an appointment.

Resource Center for Fathers and Families

* Provides family law seminars at low cost or free at several locations in the Twin Cities,
    763-783-4938 for more information

Chrysalis Legal Assistance for Women

* Provides legal information sessions, law clinics and lawyer referrals, serving women of all income levels,
    612-871-0118 for more information.
    http://www.cffpp.org/legal/minnesota_en.html#legal1

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Because it is an interstate matter, it should involve the FBI, so your instinct in that sense is correct. I would still start with the local police, and file a missing person's report when the kid doesn't return at the scheduled time. It will help your case.

Here's the sticky point-have you been contacted at all by Minnesota's child protection system? If your ex called it in, you would be hearing from them or from your local police. If not, she's just blowing smoke and trying to back you off, and subvert a custody order.
    PS referral sources are confidential, but who else would be making a PS referral in MN? If you hear from anyone regarding those allegations, I would assume she made the referral. I don't know your kid-is he easy to yank around, in a mental or emotional sense? Is his mom one of those "pity me" kinds of people, who can prey on his sympathies and normal desire for a better relationship with his mother? Could she get him to lie to authorities to make you look bad-even if he doesn't want to, could that happen out of his desire to please his mom, or because she promised him a new bike or something if he comes to live with her?

As you know, courts/CPS favor mothers, usually. Obviously, his mother has issues or you would not have obtained full custody of the kid. I'm sure that the court documented this to some degree on your custody order. The FBI listen to what CPS says in these matters, for the most part. If you have all your court paperwork together for the police or FBI, I think they will listen to what you have to say.

I'm not a lawyer, and I would wait for one to ring in here with further advice before acting, but I have seen this kind of thing happen before, with mothers using the kids to push the dads around.
    You seem to hae met my son already! LOL He is a follower not a leader. His mom has filled his head full of crap. I talked to her mom a little while ago and she informed me that my ex has him on friggin Prozac. Shit! He only went up there the first of June. I knew she would try something and I told everyone involved, if she did try something it would be the last time he would be going to visit. By the Court order, I didn't even have to let him go this time. Next time, she will need a court order for visitation. I just wanted for him to visit his extended relatives and come back home, but the psycho bitch from hell always has a game to be played.

Yes, his mother has many issues in the pastMeth, teaching her kids to steal, etc., etc....

Thanks Library Lady. I owe ya. :)

a very similar circumstance happened to me 13 years ago. I know you say money is a problem but outside of advisement by a lawyer, I don't really know what to tell you.
    I'm not sure the statute in your state that apply...

Did the child choose this? He's 14 ..... that's usually close to the age of consent in domestic custody issues. In my experience...the child may be hiding what he wants from one parent. If he's playing a role in this that you're unaware of, the authorities sometimes will not remove the child and leave it up to the courts. The courts usually side with the childs preference.
    I may be wrong but I'm not sure it's an FBI issue.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Isolated Mountain Range in Eastern Nevada
    During my divorce I was informed that any custody disputes had to be settled by the judge in the county of the child's residence. This was made into law to prevent exactly this sort of thing happening.
    You will also need a lawyer to rewrite the custody settlement when he returns to supervised visitation in YOUR town and with an appropriate notification (I got six weeks).
    See an attorney, trust me, its cheaper in the long run.
    I smile because I don't know what the heck is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    a very similar circumstance happened to me 13 years ago. I know you say money is a problem but outside of advisement by a lawyer, I don't really know what to tell you.
    I'm not sure the statute in your state that apply...

Did the child choose this? He's 14 ..... that's usually close to the age of consent in domestic custody issues. In my experience...the child may be hiding what he wants from one parent. If he's playing a role in this that you're unaware of the authorities sometimes will not remove the child and leave it up to the courts regardless what the paper says. The courts usually side with the childs preference.
    I may be wrong but I'm not sure it's an FBI issue.
    She agreed to the change of custody, otherwise her parental rights would have been stripped from her. She has very few rights as the court papers state.

He wouldn't have a say in the matter. She has been proven to be unfit. Her sister has her 8yo daughter.

A NOTE ABOUT PARENTAL ABDUCTION:

If an estranged or former spouse or domestic partner abducts your child/ren, CALL THE POLICE! Tell them that you believe s/he is in violation of Minnesota state statute 609.26 (most states have a similar statute parental kidnapping is a felony in all 50 states!) Many law enforcement officers are unfamiliar with this law so don't be reluctant to mention it to them. Under Minnesota law, it is a crime for a parent to take a child, even is s/he has joint custody, or if custody has not yet been determined.
    http://www.missingchildrenmn.org/whattodo.cfm

I know nothing about this. I am just looking for resources. I wish you all the best.

Talk to your son as soon as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkalot View Post
    During my divorce I was informed that any custody disputes had to be settled by the judge in the county of the child's residence. This was made into law to prevent exactly this sort of thing happening.
    You will also need a lawyer to rewrite the custody settlement when he returns to supervised visitation in YOUR town and with an appropriate notification (I got six weeks).
    See an attorney, trust me, its cheaper in the long run.
    Thanks, I appreciate your input.

Thanks everyone. Time to get busy copying papers and getting them ready for the FBI. I will inform my local police today, then call the FBI monday. I will be back online tommorrow afternoon.

Thanks again, I really appreciate all of your input.

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    http://www.missingchildrenmn.org/whattodo.cfm

I know nothing about this. I am just looking for resources. I wish you all the best.

Talk to your son as soon as possible.
    I have tried to talk to him the last week, but she won't answer the damn phone!

Thanks all, until tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I think your advice should come from an attorney, not strangers on a message board.
    It looks like he got some pretty handy advice to me. ;)