Thread: Firearms Freedom Act passes Utah House, returns to Senate

1. #1 Firearms Freedom Act passes Utah House, returns to Senate 
    10. Feb, 2010 Written by: Gary Wood

Kim Coleman has just notified people SB-11; Utah State-made Firearms Protection Act, (Sen. Margaret Dayton, R-Orem) has passed the House and returns to the Senate. Her update follows;

————————————

SB11, sponsored by Senator Margaret Dayton passed favorably out of the House today and has returned to the Senate for signing.

This bill addresses the legal status of a firearm manufactured in the state for use within the state; defines terms; provides that a firearm or one of various firearm-related items manufactured in the state for in-state use is not subject to federal firearms laws and regulations; exempts from in-state manufacturing some firearms and ammunition; and requires certain markings on a firearm manufactured in the state for use within the state.

This is regarded as one of the states’ rights bills this year as it challenges the federal government’s regulation of firearms under authority of interstate commerce. This bill asserts that the feds cannot regulate the firearm if it is not circulated through interstate commerce.

This bill was passed largely along party lines, with a few Republicans crossing the party line and changing their vote upon a reconsideration of the bill.

The following legislators voted in opposition to the bill:

House
    Davis, Jones, Morgan, Valentine, Goodfellow, Mayne, Robles, Hillyard, McAdams, Romero

Senate
    Allen, Cosgrove, Hutchings, Poulson, Beck, Edwards, Johnson, Riesen, Bigelow, Fisher, Janice, King, Seegmiller, Biskupski Fisher, Julie, Kiser, Wheatley, Black, Greenwood, Litvack, Wiley, Chavez-Houck, Hemingway, Moss

FROM
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

I'm waiting for a state like Utah, Texas or Arizona to pass a law saying if you manufacture a machinegun in their state and keep it in their state, the Fed's have no authority to tax it or regulate it. The same would be true of suppressors, short barreled rifles, assault rifles of any flavor, etc.

It's been discussed, but I've seen little movement. I just hope one of them gets the balls to do it. I'll pack my bags the next day.
    I like to shoot people with my CANON.

Quote Originally Posted by Full-Auto View Post
    I'm waiting for a state like Utah, Texas or Arizona to pass a law saying if you manufacture a machinegun in their state and keep it in their state, the Fed's have no authority to tax it or regulate it. The same would be true of suppressors, short barreled rifles, assault rifles of any flavor, etc.

It's been discussed, but I've seen little movement. I just hope one of them gets the balls to do it. I'll pack my bags the next day.
    To avoid the interstate commerce clause, every piece that made up the weapon would have to be made in state, including the iron ore that makes the casings and the chemical which make up any plastic components. The government is very underhanded in the application of this clause.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis