Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Girl, 6, Handcuffed, Committed Because Of Classroom Behavior 
    Once again our public schools in action. Finding stories on the insanity that is going on in public schools is getting to be like shooting fish in a barrel.

Girl, 6, Handcuffed, Committed Because Of Classroom Behavior

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- A Port St. Lucie first-grade student was handcuffed and committed to a mental health facility because of her classroom behavior, and her parents are furious that the school took such extreme measures.

Mickey Shalansky explained Wednesday what he said happened to his 6-year-old daughter at Parkway Elementary.

"She couldn't put her in two handcuffs because her wrists are that small, so she put them both in the same handcuff and left marks on my daughter's arms," Shalansky told WPBF 25 News' Bob Kaple.

But a St. Lucie County Sheriff's Office report paints a much different picture.

Deputies said his daughter, Haley, got upset and stormed out her classroom when her teacher asked her to do something. The report said it then escalated into a temper tantrum in the principal's office.

According to the incident report, a deputy said Haley was out of control. It said she "kicked the wall, went over to the desk and threw the calculator, electric pencil sharpener, telephone, container of writing utensils and other objects across the desk."

She was then handcuffed.

"I don't think it should have had to come to this -- you know, to put a little girl, 6 years old, 37 pounds in handcuffs and take her away in a police car," Shalansky said.
    Read the story here

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

It was law enforcement who cuffed the girl, not the school personnel. The school called the police in because the girl's behavior was so out of control, and they took her for mental health treatment.

The parents can complain all they want, but they have raised a 6 year old who commits property damage as opposed to following a teacher's instructions. I blame them.

In the old days a kid like this would have gotten the paddle - and clearly this girl NEEDS the paddle.

Parents don't discipline their kids anymore and then people wonder why the kids behave like this. I'm more and more inclined to believe that there needs to be a summer camp for kids entering school where they have to pass certain standards of behavior before they are allowed to enter school.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    It was law enforcement who cuffed the girl, not the school personnel. The school called the police in because the girl's behavior was so out of control, and they took her for mental health treatment.

The parents can complain all they want, but they have raised a 6 year old who commits property damage as opposed to following a teacher's instructions. I blame them.
    As Poli just pointed out, this should have been a school problem with no need to involve law enforcement. If they can't control a 6 year old perhaps without calling the police then perhaps they aren't qualified to hold the positions that they do.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    As Poli just pointed out, this should have been a school problem with no need to involve law enforcement. If they can't control a 6 year old perhaps without calling the police then perhaps they aren't qualified to hold the positions that they do.
    You got the complete wrong message from my post if you think I blame the school for this girl being out of control.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post

What are they supposed to do? They can't hit her, they can't restrain her physically, or the parents will sue. Only the police have the legal right to restrain her, if she's not a special education student (the teachers are trained to do so in SPED-EI classrooms).

The school probably needs to have the brat assessed for special education, though. At the young age of 6, they may still be working on the referral. 6 may sound like a very young age (kindergarten or 1st grade), but the girl probably really does have mental health issues to behave in such an extreme manner.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    You got the complete wrong message from my post if you think I blame the school for this girl being out of control.
    I wasn't saying that. She's out of control for whatever reason and the school should have done something instead of calling the police. They should have got the parents in there and had a little chat with them about the girls problems. The parents are the only ones who can correct the bad behavior. The police can only punish it. To involve the police with a 6 year old is a bit over the top.

C. S. Lewis

Some of you are forgetting something important. Yes, in the past the school would have handled it and then the parents would have handled it more. But we live in the age of lawyers and lawsuits; the school is just covering their ass.

She's gonna make some poor bastard very miserable in the future.

rm -rf obama*

Quote Originally Posted by BadCat View Post
    She's gonna make some poor bastard very miserable in the future.
    That I totally agree with.

C. S. Lewis