1. #1 Feds push for tracking cell phones 
    Now this is plain wrong. I guess the liberal won't have a problem with it because Obama is doing it, but had Dubya opted to do it they would be screaming to high heavens about how their rights have been violated and Bush should be chimpeached.

Two years ago, when the FBI was stymied by a band of armed robbers known as the "Scarecrow Bandits" that had robbed more than 20 Texas banks, it came up with a novel method of locating the thieves.

FBI agents obtained logs from mobile phone companies corresponding to what their cellular towers had recorded at the time of a dozen different bank robberies in the Dallas area. The voluminous records showed that two phones had made calls around the time of all 12 heists, and that those phones belonged to men named Tony Hewitt and Corey Duffey. A jury eventually convicted the duo of multiple bank robbery and weapons charges.

Even though police are tapping into the locations of mobile phones thousands of times a year, the legal ground rules remain unclear, and federal privacy laws written a generation ago are ambiguous at best. On Friday, the first federal appeals court to consider the topic will hear oral arguments (PDF) in a case that could establish new standards for locating wireless devices.
    In that case, the Obama administration has argued that warrantless tracking is permitted because Americans enjoy no "reasonable expectation of privacy" in their--or at least their cell phones'--whereabouts. U.S. Department of Justice lawyers say that "a customer's Fourth Amendment rights are not violated when the phone company reveals to the government its own records" that show where a mobile device placed and received calls.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Now this is plain wrong. I guess the liberal won't have a problem with it because Obama is doing it, but had Dubya opted to do it they would be screaming to high heavens about how their rights have been violated and Bush should be chimpeached.
    Isn't it peculiar that when a liberal Democrat does something like this it's acceptable ?All the new cell phones have built in GPS capability's to calculate their locations and insert it into their data request streams .

It is possible to measure the path delays from cell tower to tower when more than one tower receives the same request for service carrier.Cell phones continuously send data streams to seek out the nearest tower even when they are shut off by their users.

People in the security business or those concerned with their privacy will sometimes slide off the battery pack to defeat this tracking feature .The board designers have added further new capabilities to overcome this like an on board backup battery and remote microphone enabling capabilities.Each cell phone also identifies itself by adding it's serial id to the data stream!

It's all built into the phones firmware,just send the correct enabling code the next time the phone is used and it's activated.They can even update the firmware while you are using the phone and you would never know it.These things have become the ubiquitous snoop and tracking spy,Uncle knows where you are at all times.

They can even determine your identity and location over a international satellite telephone data stream by using speech recognition software .All they need is a sample of your voice.

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Isn't it peculiar that when a liberal Democrat does something like this it's acceptable ?All the new cell phones have built in GPS capability's to calculate their locations and insert it into their data request streams .

It is possible to measure the path delays from cell tower to tower when more than one tower receives the same request for service carrier.Cell phones continuously send data streams to seek out the nearest tower even when they are shut off by their users.

People in the security business or those concerned with their privacy will sometimes slide off the battery pack to defeat this tracking feature .The board designers have added further new capabilities to overcome this like an on board backup battery and remote microphone enabling capabilities.Each cell phone also identifies itself by adding it's serial id to the data stream!

It's all built into the phones firmware,just send the correct enabling code the next time the phone is used and it's activated.They can even update the firmware while you are using the phone and you would never know it.These things have become the ubiquitous snoop and tracking spy,Uncle knows where you are at all times.

They can even determine your identity and location over a international satellite telephone data stream by using speech recognition software .All they need is a sample of your voice.
    Yet another reason why I feel just fine not owning a cell phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post

I finally got one last year. I got a Go Phone from AT&T. I buy a phone card once a month, and I have it for emergencies and work related situations in which I don't want anyone to have my home phone number.

Mine has GPS, but it is not registered under my name. It's easily traced to me, via debit card purchases for phone cards and for the phone itself, if someone really wanted to connect it to me. But drug dealers and terrorists probably use these kinds of phones, because they are cheap and harder to trace than something like Verizon, where the user has an account and all. Who cares about ditching a phone in a hurry when you can go to Target and replace it for $20?

Go on damn it. Who's going to be the brave soul and post this at DU?
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I dislike giving anyone the ability to call me at anytime they please.They know the cell phone is with you and if you refuse to answer their call they may become very indignant.They are indispensable in business as they allow your boss or others instant access to you 24/7 on the road or asleep in a hotel.I enjoy my solitude being alone on occasion while traveling by car.

I have an iPhone that has somehow or another become completely twined in my life. Now that I think about it I'm reminded of the episode of South Park called Trapper Keeper where a electron notebook merge with Cartman. I use the iPhone to browse the web when I'm in waiting rooms, I get my email through it, I log my blood sugar levels, check out face book, text with it, it keeps my calendar, tunes my guitar in a pinch and it is my alarm clock that gets me up every morning. Oh I even make and receive phone calls on it. The nature of my job requires me to available for contact 24/7. It's weird how much I use it.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis