1. #1 Monsanto rolls out branded onions 
    Monsanto rolls out branded onions
    By Georgina Gustin
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    02/05/2010

CREVE COEUR — For anyone who loves sweet onions, their disappearance from grocery store shelves in the fall is a sad occasion.

But recently, a new sweet onion — one grown domestically in the off-season — has hit the St. Louis market. Distinguished by a little green label bearing the name EverMild, the onions offer new hope for shoppers with a year-round appetite for the mellower tastes of summer.

The EverMild onion, appearing locally in Schnucks stores, represents Monsanto Co.'s first U.S.-focused foray into the branded vegetable market. Researchers with the Creve Coeur-based company, better known for its weed killer and genetically modified row crops, have been working on the onion for a decade, and will launch the product formally on Monday.

"This is the first time we've worked to develop a brand," said Danielle Stuart, a spokesman for Monsanto's vegetable seed business.

"All of our vegetables are sold in the supermarket, but this is one of the first we've trademarked with a name."

Last year, Monsanto had nearly $7.3 billion in overall sales — about $808 million from vegetable seeds, most of which are conventionally bred. While the seeds represent roughly 11 percent of the biotech giant's sales and make Monsanto the leading vegetable seed seller, the company hopes to increase that figure, largely by focusing on consumer tastes and needs.

The company already has launched a branded broccoli, called Bella Verde, and a lettuce, called Dolce Verde, both in Europe, and is working on a variety of other vegetables and fruits from peppers and tomatoes to melons.

"We've definitely focused part of our vegetable business on what consumers are interested in — improved flavor, convenience, nutrition," Stuart said. "The onion had a flavor focus, and we identified a gap in the market where domestic sweet onions aren't available."

The onions will be sold exclusively at Schnucks stores, at least initially. Monsanto and Schnucks began working together during the last year as Monsanto started casting around for a retail market for EverMild.
    Dear Lord - name brand vegetables. :eek:

St. Louis Today

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Dear Lord - name brand vegetables. :eek:

St. Louis Today
    Naturally they are much more expensive than regular Plebeian onions !

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Naturally they are much more expensive than regular Plebeian onions !
    I'll never know. I'm sticking with the regular kind.

Banned
    Does not everyone buy branded veggies?

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I'll never know. I'm sticking with the regular kind.
    That will be easy for you----they're only available in St Louis at Schnuck's markets so you won't have to worry. The article didn't mention that they are "no tears" onions, as well as being sweet, so one can chop away without crying. The advertising for them just kicked in here.

I might try them.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    That will be easy for you----they're only available in St Louis at Schnuck's markets so you won't have to worry. The article didn't mention that they are "no tears" onions, as well as being sweet, so one can chop away without crying. The advertising for them just kicked in here.

I might try them.
    I am lazy so I buy mine in a frozen bag already chopped up. :D

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post

I might try them.
    I'm sure they will be everywhere after the initial test-marketing. George Noory will be all over this. :D

I can get sweet onions year round. The Vidalia onions (which are the best) are only available here in season, but Meijer can get sweet onions from Puerto Rico in the winter.