Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    Perhaps you could um... elaborate.
    His argument is this group supports it, I like them better so no matter what your facts are - I'm gonna agree with them? Pathetic.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    His argument is this group supports it, I like them better so no matter what your facts are - I'm gonna agree with them? Pathetic.
    That group happens to be the national academy of sciences... a wee bit more authoritative than CS's argument don't you think? Which basically relies on the opinion of one professors statistical analysis. CS's argument is the same type of appeal to authority - a much weaker authority, in fact.

And as I have also pointed out before - temperature reconstructions which take into account the criticisms from the report that he relies on, had no significant effect on them. So hows that?

That group happens to be the national academy of sciences... a wee bit more authoritative than CS's argument don't you think? Which basically relies on the opinion of one professors statistical analysis. CS's argument is the same type of appeal to authority - a much weaker authority, in fact.

And as I have also pointed out before - temperature reconstructions which take into account the criticisms from the report that he relies on, had no significant effect on them. So hows that?
    I know who the group is - and I don't care. You're making an appeal to authority rather than dealing with the facts of his argument. It's a pathetic attempt at dismissing an argument through the use of one of the shallowest and most blatant of the logical fallacies.

Banned
    I know who the group is - and I don't care. You're making an appeal to authority rather than dealing with the facts of his argument. It's a pathetic attempt at dismissing an argument through the use of one of the shallowest and most blatant of the logical fallacies.
    CS's argument is the same type of appeal to authority!!! He didnt do any calculations himself, he's relying on the testimony of a single statistician (not himself)!

And just so you know, its a rookie mistake to act like appeals to authority are always fallacies. They arent. And it certainly isnt practical to dismiss all authoritative opinion - unless of course you feel comfortable going to your car mechanic for heart surgery.

CS's argument is the same type of appeal to authority!!! He didnt do any calculations himself, he's relying on the testimony of a single statistician (not himself)!

And just so you know, its a rookie mistake to act like appeals to authority are always fallacies. They arent. And it certainly isnt practical to dismiss all authoritative opinion - unless of course you feel comfortable going to your car mechanic for heart surgery.

There is a difference between getting services - and making arguments. You might wanna learn what that difference is.

Banned
    There is a difference between getting services - and making arguments. You might wanna learn what that difference is.
    Do you trust your doctors opinion when he gives you a diagnosis, more so than you trust your car mechanic?

If so, you've just indulged in an appeal to authority. Ever learned anything from a textbook? Ever cited a source in the internet to make your case? Appeals to authority. Almost all of our knowledge is based upon authoritative opinion. Seriously this is basic stuff here - It sounds like you learned a fancy new term, and are too eager to use it, without a clue how to do it properly.

Revisiting the post from TNO will clear show that he did not make a fallacious appeal to authority - he simply said that he trusts in the opinion of one group, over the opinion of one man.

An appeal that takes the form of a fallacy requires one to make the claim that X is necessarily true, because authority X says it is. He didnt do that, and neither did I.
    Last edited by wilbur; 02-15-2010 at 01:05 PM.

Do you trust your doctors opinion when he gives you a diagnosis, more so than you trust your car mechanic?

If so, you've just indulged in an appeal to authority. Ever learned anything from a textbook? Ever cited a source in the internet to make your case? Appeals to authority. Almost all of our knowledge is based upon authoritative opinion. Seriously this is basic stuff here - It sounds like you learned a fancy new term, and are too eager to use it, without a clue how to do it properly.

Revisiting the post from TNO will clear show that he did not make a fallacious appeal to authority - he simply said that he trusts in the opinion of one group, over the opinion of one man.

An appeal that takes the form of a fallacy requires one to make the claim that X is true, because authority X says it is. He didnt do that, and neither did I.
    JACKASS - We're not talking about car mechanics and doctors here. We're talking about two different kinds of doctors.

Banned
    JACKASS - We're not talking about car mechanics and doctors here. We're talking about two different kinds of doctors.
    So what? Whose cancer diagnosis are you going to trust more? An oncologist or a dentist? In this case, we have climate scientists, and many statisticians and many other scientists of all stripes versus - one statistician.

And one statistician whose findings had no significant impact on temperature reconstructions when used....
    Last edited by wilbur; 02-15-2010 at 01:09 PM.

So what? Whose cancer diagnosis are you going to trust more? An oncologist or a dentist? In this case, we have climate scientists, and many statisticians and many other scientists of all stripes versus - one statistician.

I'm going to get a second and maybe third opinion.
    Cast your burden on the Lord,
    and he will sustain you;
    he will never permit
    the righteous to be moved.
    Psalm 55:22

You mean the oncologist or the homeopathologist right? Two doctors with different takes on the same issue. But I wouldn't want you to be reasonable in your criticsms of dissent so you go right ahead and continue couch the argument in ludicrous terms.