Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Friday Flix Thread 
    Power CUer
    This is my debut as the Friday thread person. I'm starting it very early because I have to be at the office by 7 and I'll be in an all day meeting.

Weather: Hot, muggy and dark - it's not even 5.30 yet, here.

TOTD: Now that so many of us have "Netflix" and other ways to get movies on demand, what is your favorite obscure movie that you'd like to recommend to CU'ers? Mine is a quiet 1945 gem from Britain called "I Know Where I'm Going", with Roger Livesey and Wendy Hiller. Here's the description from Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Know_Where_I'm_Going!

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Steamy morning here in St. Louis land. Supposed to be near 100 into
    next week.

Netflix? Bah, I haven't rented a movie in years. I've always been one to buy
    the tape, CD, DVD. :D I wouldn't mind getting the "African Queen" to watch
    again as I found out a lot of it was filmed in SW Florida.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Banned
    Looks to be bright and sunny here in the megalopolis today. Working out of the house so that means around 2:30 I might amble over to the pub for a wee bit of the dram. :D

TOTD: Not bad, Linda. One of my favorites that I saw late one night is an obscure Rod Steiger movie made in 1957, Across the Bridge written by Graham Greene. Here's part of the imdb summary:

Corporate executive Carl Schaffner is a German-born British industrialist in New York on business. After he gets word that Scotland Yard is investigating a $3,000,000 embezzlement he has committed, the imperious, mean-spirited Schaffner thinks he has sufficient time to take an inconspicuous train to Mexico where he can escape extradition. He miscalculates, and his crime has become headline news before he can cross the border. He drugs and switches identities with fellow train passenger Paul Scarff, who looks like him and has a Mexican passport. He throws him off the train but later discovers that Scarff is wanted in Mexico as a political assassin. Schaffner must double back and track down Scarff to get his original passport back....
    The ending is a bit sentimental, but hey, I'm a sentimental kind of guy!

gator
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    what is your favorite obscure movie that you'd like to recommend to CU'ers?
    "A Boy and His Dog".

Synopsis: It's 2024, and the post-apocalyptic wasteland that was once Phoenix, Arizona, is prowled by unruly gangs and lone scavengers like 18-year-old Vic (Johnson). Society has vanished, either underground or over the hills, and women have been degraded to the level of food: something to be hunted and consumed.

Vic travels with a dog called Blood (voiced by Tim McIntire), who's not only telepathic but rational enough to view Vic's libido-driven behavior with disdain. Nonetheless, they work as a team: Vic hunts food, and Blood locates women using a kind of psychic radar. When Blood senses a disguised female in "town," they follow her to a deserted gymnasium, normally home to strange and deadly mutants. There Vic starts to force himself on her--only to be disarmed by her demure independence. Before he can figure her out, however, a gang descends on them. Blood is wounded in the ensuing fight, but the mutants return, and the three have to hide.

While they wait, Quilla June (Benton) almost convinces Vic to return underground with her, where American society has been preserved. But Blood can't come, and Vic won't go without him. So she conks him on the head and takes off, knowing he'll be driven to follow.

Blood promises to wait as long as he can while Vic descends into a bizarrely homespun totalitarian community under the iron fist of the Committee, led by Craddock (Robards). Recipes for blue-ribbon pie and gentle warnings about conformity alternate on the ubiquitous loudspeakers. Vic learns Quilla June lured him down to stud their women, underground life having thinned their seed; Vic is first overjoyed, then horrified as they laugh in his face and then strap him into a sexual milking machine. The ambitious Quilla June rescues Vic for her own ends, bringing on a test of wills between Quilla June, Vic and the Committee.

"Normal" is relative

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goPyD...eature=related

Heat index at 110 today. Unfortunately I have to be out in it a little.

Not a movie person and I never rent - I am too bad to build up late fees.
    I recently bought The Spitfire Grill, .
    Another obscure one is The World of Henry Orient.

Movies I treasure are Tender Mercies, Cross Creek and my Julia Roberts collection.:o
    This is bigger than presidential politics. This is a battle for America.

TOTD: Mine would be a movie that has since spawned two (I think) sequels which I haven't seen and probably won't unless they turn up on the Sci-Fi Channel. The movie is called Gingersnaps, a low-budget Canadian horror film that created a lot of indie-film buzz several years ago. It was one of the first DVD's I bought, on a fellow writer's suggestion. I love werewolves and this is a decent "lycanthropic" one. Check it out.

Another would be Dog Soldiers, a UK "werewolf" horror flick, which appears on the Sci-Fi Channel occasionally...
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

We will reach triple digits today before cooling down next week. Ick.

TOTD: The 7 Faces of Dr. Lao.

Synopsis: A mysterious travelling circus, led by the odd Dr. Lao, arrives in a small dusty town. Dr. Lao is endowed with magical powers, and his troupe is populated with such mythical characters as Merlin, Pan, Medusa and even the Abominable Snowman. Together, Lao and his performers use their unique... A mysterious travelling circus, led by the odd Dr. Lao, arrives in a small dusty town. Dr. Lao is endowed with magical powers, and his troupe is populated with such mythical characters as Merlin, Pan, Medusa and even the Abominable Snowman. Together, Lao and his performers use their unique abilities to help the townspeople gain clearer outlooks on who they are -- and in the process change their lives forever.

Synopsis from Rotten Tomatoes.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    We will reach triple digits today before cooling down next week. Ick.

TOTD: The 7 Faces of Dr. Lao.

Synopsis: A mysterious travelling circus, led by the odd Dr. Lao, arrives in a small dusty town. Dr. Lao is endowed with magical powers, and his troupe is populated with such mythical characters as Merlin, Pan, Medusa and even the Abominable Snowman. Together, Lao and his performers use their unique... A mysterious travelling circus, led by the odd Dr. Lao, arrives in a small dusty town. Dr. Lao is endowed with magical powers, and his troupe is populated with such mythical characters as Merlin, Pan, Medusa and even the Abominable Snowman. Together, Lao and his performers use their unique abilities to help the townspeople gain clearer outlooks on who they are -- and in the process change their lives forever.

Synopsis from Rotten Tomatoes.

Bright and clear and Starting to warm .High eighty's forcast !

In Sax Rohmer's 'The Yellow Peril Series Dr Fu Manchu

Is The arch Villain !Popular in the thirties when Chinese opium dens were all the literary rage.

Allow me a 'small witticism 'Some men drink and Some men smoke but Fu Manchu .Yuk,yuk ,.....sorry !

"I read all of these as a boy many,many years ago !
    Some were made into movies, I'll bet !

Typical plot is a young blond white girl is kidnapped and chained half naked, showing lots of leg and hip, to a dungeon wall while a Large Chinaman with a queue pigtail uncoils a long whip .

The Clones of Fu Manchu and Sumuru

Sax Rohmer's Dr. Fu Manchu was indeed "the yellow peril incarnate in one man," and his vast popularity led to a number of clones. If the villains were simply sinister Orientals, Rohmer's influence might justly be questioned, but the resemblance to Dr. Fu Manchu was often quite unmistakable. The characters included below were clearly based on one or more characteristics of Dr. Fu Manchu. Stories in which the character is Fu Manchu are included on the Books of Fu Manchu page.

The Blue-Eyed Manchu
    Wu Fang
    The Yellow Spider

In The Yellow Spider (Grossep and Dunlap, 1920), John Charles Beecham's villain is Ah Sing, the Yellow Spider, who is "cruel, cunning, ruthless, feared the length of the archipelago, the incarnation of all the savagery and mysticism of the Orient." "His eyes were like a leopard's in the dark, two dots of green fire that scintillated but did not blink."

http://www.njedge.net/~knapp/clones.htm

Typical South GA weather..... Hot, high around 93, heat index of 100, high humidity, chance of evening thunderstorms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFzuxgivmQ8

Pure cheese.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

TOTD:

Tape Heads. (John Cuzack and Tim Robbins before they became ass biscuits)