Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    Have you seen the "extras" for Tender Mercies and Cross Creek? There are some fascinating background stories.The little boy in Tender Mercies never made another movie but remained friends with Robert Duvall and is now a youth minister (I have corresponded with him). Duvall gave him a guitar and came to his birthday party.

Norton Baskin (Rawlings husband and the Coyote character) was the man in the rocking chair.
    Cool. I actually have met the banjo boy from Deliverance, Billy Redden. He's a nice guy. Lives not far from me.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    Cool. I actually have met the banjo boy from Deliverance, Billy Redden. He's a nice guy. Lives not far from me.

I always wondered about him. He's selling autographs on ebay, too.
    This is bigger than presidential politics. This is a battle for America.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    Does he still pick? Has he made any recordings? My BIL is a banjo player and he'd love a cd of that guy's stuff, I'm sure.

Well, wiki says:

Billy Redden, who played the banjo playing boy, could not really play the banjo. Another young banjo player knelt behind him and reached around Redden's chest to reach the banjo, with Redden wearing a specially made shirt that made the man's arms appear to be Redden's. Additionally, the shot was filmed from angles that made it impossible to see the musician behind Redden on the porch.
    This is bigger than presidential politics. This is a battle for America.

Well, wiki says:
    Well, that kills that idea. My BIL is really good and often plays professionally. :(

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Does he still pick? Has he made any recordings? My BIL is a banjo player and he'd love a cd of that guy's stuff, I'm sure.

I don't think he actually plays. For the movie, he sat in the chair with his arms behind him, and a professional banjo player reached around him and through the sleeves of his shirt and played the Dueling Banjoes tune.

Billy is part owner and a cook at The Cookie Jar Cafe in Clayton Georgia.

He is glad to sign autographs and let himself be photographed with anyone who asks. He doesn't charge if you're eating breakfast or lunch. He may take a tip if offered. Usually he just declines and says thanks for eating with us.

He never really made much money off the movie.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jendf View Post
    What is the test for?
    I've been interviewing for new jobs. I've passed two stages for this particular job. They called me today and told me that they were emailing me a test from "Prove It" concerning Excel, Word etc. I have the weekend to take it. I know the programs well but I don't know them like I just took a class. I'm just wondering how technical the questions are going to be. I've developed my own shortcuts and ways of doing things over the years.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    I've been interviewing for new jobs. I've passed two stages for this particular job. They called me today and told me that they were emailing me a test from "Prove It" concerning Excel, Word etc. I have the weekend to take it. I know the programs well but I don't know them like I just took a class. I'm just wondering how technical the questions are going to be. I've developed my own shortcuts and ways of doing things over the years.
    You'll do great. If you run into something that stumps you, google "Microsoft Office Tutorials." You'll find Microsoft's own tutorials and others created by kind-hearted souls who know what a pain Microsoft Office Suite can be. :D

Let us know how you do!

Here's someone on FR complaining about it:

Prove It!
    Vanity Vent | October 28, 2006 | Angry Write Mail

Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 8:32:06 PM by Angry Write Mail

Has anyone in Freeperland ever been required to take computer competency tests given by Prove It.com? A passing grade of 80% or better in four MS Office programs is required by a company I am seeking employment with.
    and

Ever taken a "Prove-It" Test?

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Here's someone on FR complaining about it:

and

Ever taken a "Prove-It" Test?
    Oh no! He said it locks your browser. So much for Jen's googling advice.:p It does seem silly to have me take it at home though. I could have some expert take it for me. Not that I would do that.:D
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III