1. #1 Evan Bayh (D-IN) will not seek reelection 
    Sen. Evan Bayh will not run for re-election, a decision that will shock Democrats and Republicans alike in Indiana.

In prepared remarks, Bayh, 54, cited excessive partisanship that makes progress on public policy difficult to achieve as the motivation for his decision.
    Advertisement

“After all these years, my passion for service to my fellow citizens is undiminished, but my desire to do so in Congress has waned,” he said.
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...eek-reelection

This is a huge bombshell. Before Scott Brown's election, Indiana was considered safe for Democrats, though Bayh has seen a drop in polls recently. His vote on the health care fiasco hurt him and tarnished his reputation as a "moderate." I'm not sure if that's why he dropped out, but hopefully this will further kill any momentum on potentially cramming through healthcare via reconciliation.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    good for IN, just wish Levin and Stabenow were up for relection now instead the last 2 election cycles

The thing that scares me in cases like this is that re-election could well have been the only controling factor for these people - now they can vote for things their constituents are against without fear fo reprocussions. AND - there is always the relity that an unpopular incumbent is easier to beat than a fresh face with no ties to unpopular votes/policies.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    The thing that scares me in cases like this is that re-election could well have been the only controling factor for these people - now they can vote for things their constituents are against without fear fo reprocussions. AND - there is always the relity that an unpopular incumbent is easier to beat than a fresh face with no ties to unpopular votes/policies.
    The Democrats really have no time to field a primary candidate, which means the DNC will choose a candidate. Progressive dipsh*ts that they are, any candidate they field will lose big time.

Wish we had a happy dance smily!

Quote Originally Posted by Milly View Post
    The Democrats really have no time to field a primary candidate, which means the DNC will choose a candidate. Progressive dipsh*ts that they are, any candidate they field will lose big time.

Wish we had a happy dance smily!
    They did a good job hand picking and foisting Obama on us . . . .

Bayh was still pretty popular even though his popularity took a hit with him siding with the Obama administration before Scott Brown's victory. I think this may be a case of disenfranchisement and Bayh was just pissed at the direction the Democrats are heading and decided he no longer wants to be a part of it. Bayh had become more critical of the administration after Scott Brown's victory.

This is pure speculation on my part, but it's the best explanation I can come up with.

They did a good job hand picking and foisting Obama on us . . . .
    True, but there's been an awakening in regard to what that Hope & Change crap means. Fool me once, shame on you . . . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post
    Bayh was still pretty popular even though his popularity took a hit with him siding with the Obama administration before Scott Brown's victory. I think this may be a case of disenfranchisement and Bayh was just pissed at the direction the Democrats are heading and decided he no longer wants to be a part of it. Bayh had become more critical of the administration after Scott Brown's victory.

This is pure speculation on my part, but it's the best explanation I can come up with.
    I would love for you to be right.