Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Senator Boxer Vulnerable? 
    New poll: Now, signs of real vulnerability for California's Democratic Sen. Barbara Boxer
    February 15, 2010 | 3:22 pm

So, is California's brittle Democratic Sen. Barbara Boxer about to become the next Harry Reid? Which is to say, embattled at home.

As Reid worked the wallets of San Francisco on Presidents' Day to raise money for his endangered seat in Nevada, some stunning new Rasmussen Reports poll out today makes a compelling point:

For the second straight month the three-term senator is unable to break the 50% mark against any potential Republican opponents, the historical measuring mark of vulnerability for an incumbent nine months before an election.

For a Democrat in a Democrat state that gave Barack Obama 61% of its votes in 2008 (and still likes him more than many other places) to be mired in the mid-40's is a sign of real trouble. This is especially so given the fact that disgruntled voters gave Democrats control of the House, Senate and White House in 2008, expecting something to happen beyond another congressional payraise. Voters appear to be looking at a the stubborn ineffectiveness of the much-vaunted economic stimulation bill, continued high unemployment and waning Obama approval. It's not like they don't know Boxer after all her years in the state's public life. To help with the warmth of money, Boxer has Al Gore's headline help fundraising.

Yes, sure, incumbents retain huge powers and money advantages over challengers and it's a long time until November, when the five-term ex-representative Boxer will turn 70. But nationally, indications are growing that 2010 could be a tidal wave election beyond the usual midterm swing with voters believing in a different kind of change to believe in.

Is it possible they could dump out a Democrat even in California?
    LA Times

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    I think there's going to be a HUGE anti-liberal backlash in California, with as screwed up as the state has been with Arnold and other Libs running the state. Boxer (rightfully) is getting caught in that

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    I think there's going to be a HUGE anti-liberal backlash in California, with as screwed up as the state has been with Arnold and other Libs running the state. Boxer (rightfully) is getting caught in that
    It's looking to be an interesting race, no question about that.

Banned
    All of the comments were anti-Boxer. Even Democrats think she is an idiot and an embarrassment to the state.

There's a video floating around somewhere in cyberspace showing Boxer speaking and when she happens to show her palm, it's obvious the she has scribbled notes on her hand. I saw this after the Palin incident. If someone starts comparing her to Palin, the libs in CA will run her out of town on a rail.
    Last edited by AlmostThere; 02-16-2010 at 05:40 PM.
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I think it's not only possible, but probable.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Hopefully she is. I think pretty much all incumbents better watch it; especially ones like boxer.

"I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction." -Barack Hussein Obama

She's vulnerable, but it's still going to be a tough race for the Republicans. It's California after all. I'm not familiar enough with any of the Republican candidates to know if any of them are strong or not. When I think of the Republican primary in that state, I still can't get past the demon sheep ad.
    Last edited by Swampfox; 02-17-2010 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post
    She's vulnerable, but it's still going to be a tough race for the Republicans. It's California after all.
    It was Massachusetts after all, no?
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    It was Massachusetts after all, no?
    Absolutely. I'm not sure if any of the Republican primary candidates are as strong as Scott Brown though.